Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
evilbible.com
evilbible.com
hi, i've decided to post a site going in detail about how this site is not credible for biblical knowledge since it's used as references on this forum to degrade morality of christianity. i'm going to just talk about the "Ritual Human Sacrifice in the Bible" topic since it would take too much space to talk about all of them. lets look at the evidence they post.

Genesis 22:1-18, story of abraham and isaac. this site actually claims that Abraham did not sacrifice his son but says it's still a cruel thing to do. does this prove God condones human sacrifice? no. God had no intention of Abraham sacrificing his son even though he commanded him to. if he did, he would not have sent an angel to stop him. this clearly is not condoning human sacrifice.

a lot of these passages are talking about execution and not sacrifice and some are in the apocrypha which i don't care about because i'm not catholic and both protestants and jews agree that those books don't belong in the bible. lets look at another.

Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT, this one sort of caught my eye cuz it directly said "Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God." i tried to look for it in my new king james bible and sure enough, it's worded completely different. it said "for the lord your God" not as a sacrifice. what does this mean? well to avoid further confusion lets look at the hebrew.
where the NLT version says as a burnt offering to the lord your God, it says
וְשָׂרַפְתָּ֨- and burn
בָאֵ֜שׁ- fire
הָעִ֤יר- the city
כָּל־- and all
שְׁלָלָהּ֙- booty
כָּלִ֔יל- a whole
לַיהוָ֖ה- to the lord (yahweh)
אֱלֹהֶ֑יךָ- your god
gathered from http://biblos.com/deuteronomy/13-16.htm

this clearly does not say sacrifice and that word should not be there. what's the true meaning? it was a passage saying to punish Idolatry in the cities of Israel. not talking about sacrificing them to God for reward of any sort. execution is different from sacrifice.

in conclusion, this site clearly does not state truth about the bible, it simply takes things in the bible out of context so they can say the bible contradicts itself when it comes to morality. whoever wrote this site does not care about the truth and this site should not be used to prove anything. i expect that this site will not be referenced again and if it is i will refer them to this post to discredit their source.
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

-4th verse of the american national anthem
RE: evilbible.com
Anyone care to count up how many drinks that one's worth?

(January 15, 2012 at 3:49 am)aleialoura Wrote: Anyone care to count up how many drinks that one's worth?

Which one? Chipan or Thomas Paine?
Well that makes murdering an entire town ok then.

Oh by the way, here is the relevent passage from the KJV.
Quote:13:12 If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities, which the LORD thy God hath given thee to dwell there, saying,
13:13 Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;

13:14 Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;
13:15 Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.
13:16 And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.
13:17 And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers;

So if you find a town that follows another god you are to destroy it utterly, for god.

Yes, very christian.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(January 15, 2012 at 5:56 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Well that makes murdering an entire town ok then.

Oh by the way, here is the relevent passage from the KJV.
Quote:13:12 If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities, which the LORD thy God hath given thee to dwell there, saying,
13:13 Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;

13:14 Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;
13:15 Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.
13:16 And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.
13:17 And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers;

So if you find a town that follows another god you are to destroy it utterly, for god.

Yes, very christian.

This story of conquer has to do with the establishment of Israel, these actions are of war, to establish a new nation and rid the lands of the contamination that would influence this new nation, in ways that would lead them away from God. This has nothing to do with Christianity on the surface, there is a spiritual connection but, I do not think nonbelievers would be interest in such things.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Let's see, Chippy. There's a site which runs parallel translations of your fucking bible and is useful in just these occasions (if none other).

Quote:
New International Version (©1984)
Gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the LORD your God. It is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt.

New Living Translation (©2007)
Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the open square and burn it. Burn the entire town as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt.

English Standard Version (©2001)
You shall gather all its spoil into the midst of its open square and burn the city and all its spoil with fire, as a whole burnt offering to the LORD your God. It shall be a heap forever. It shall not be built again.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"Then you shall gather all its booty into the middle of its open square and burn the city and all its booty with fire as a whole burnt offering to the LORD your God; and it shall be a ruin forever. It shall never be rebuilt.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Gather their goods into the middle of the city square. Then burn their city and all their goods as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. It must remain a mound of ruins and never be rebuilt.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
And you shall gather all the spoil of it into the midst of its street, and shall burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof, unto the LORD your God: and it shall be a heap forever; it shall not be built again.

American King James Version
And you shall gather all the spoil of it into the middle of the street thereof, and shall burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD your God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.

American Standard Version
And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, unto Jehovah thy God: and it shall be a heap for ever; it shall not be built again.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And all the household goods that are there, thou shalt gather together in the midst of the streets thereof, and shalt burn them with the city itself, so as to consume all for the Lord thy God, and that it be a heap for ever: it shall be built no more.

Darby Bible Translation
And all the spoil of it shalt thou gather into the midst of the open place thereof, and shalt burn the city with fire, and all the spoil thereof, wholly to Jehovah thy God; and it shall be a heap for ever; it shall not be built again.

English Revised Version
And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, unto the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.

Webster's Bible Translation
And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of its street, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil of it every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be a heap forever; it shalt not be built again.

World English Bible
You shall gather all its spoil into the midst of its street, and shall burn with fire the city, and all its spoil every whit, to Yahweh your God: and it shall be a heap forever; it shall not be built again.

So, on the one hand we have a whole bunch of people who can actually read Greek ( the language your fucking bible was translated from was not "Hebrew" in case you didn't know that) saying that the city and its contents was burned for your fucking god and on the other hand we have you... posting a bit of apologetic bullshit which you clearly do not comprehend.

And G-C, archeology has established that there was no "conquest." Just more mythology to get you a hard on as you think about your blood-thirsty god killing all of his ( and your) enemies.

Funny, I've never seen anyone use that website anyway.
There were a few of us who participated in the forum over there and, as you can see, it was a lightning rod for xtian shitwits who just can't get over the fact that their bible is a vile collection of murder, rape and mayhem in honor of their shitty god.

The problem was that the moderator banned fundies at the drop of a hat which kind of diminished the fun factor of playing with them.

I learned to use biblegateway just because, as chippy shows, they are willing to automatically assume that any translation which appears on "Evilbible" must be wrong. So rather than use the EB text I would take the passage in question and run it through an actual bible site and then invite the offending "context moron" to put his god's crimes in whatever context he wished and show me how "good" his god really was? There were surprisingly few takers.

The problem with EB was not his translations...it was his temper.
(January 15, 2012 at 3:32 pm)Napo Wrote: Funny, I've never seen anyone use that website anyway.

certainly very few references at any rate. In fact Chipan, Can you please link more than two examples where evilbible.com was even directly named or referenced? For that matter, I know of several other anti-bible sites that have been used far more often than evilbible. Besides, I don't know what your point is ... this IS an ATHEIST site.

Skepticsannotated comes to mind for sure.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:to establish a new nation and rid the lands of the contamination that would influence this new nation

Nice to know that you consider non-judeo religions as "contamination".

So...how shall we go about exterminating the source of the contamination? Genocide seems to be Jehovahs favorite and usual choice.