Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent Design on Trial
Intelligent Design on Trial
Just finished watching a spiffing documentary of the same name.

The doco is about a trial in Dover county Pennslyvania (Kitzmiller vs Dover) in 2004.

Several science teachers and parents sued the school board for trying to have ID taught as science. They won.

I was not surprised at the verdict,but was a little surprised at the blatant dishonesty of some of the ID supporters. EG Using their own documents, the trial proved how the term "Intelligent Design" was deliberately used by the hilariously named "Discovery Institute'' to get creationism taught as science. One way they did this was to simply change the word 'creationism' to 'intelligent design' in the textbook proposed for school use.

PLUS the judge considered charging two members of the Dover school board with perjury:they were caught lying.

Highly recommended to rational thinkers,which by definition excludes most of our resident apologists. Cool Shades

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_...l_District

RE: Intelligent Design on Trial
Thanks! Isn't that a NOVA documentary?

I haven't seen it yet, but I remember seeing something about it, and wanting to see it.

Yep! It is:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/i...trial.html

Yea the Kitzmiller v Dover case really shed some light on the tactics of the ID crowd.

Afterwards Judge Jones caught hell from his own people about being an activist judge for not ruling the way they wanted him to. His comments to the ADL later pretty much defined what it means to be an activist judge for me.

Jones’ speech to the ADL
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
I first heard of this doc through an episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit which used footage from it and I was so intrigued I tracked down the whole thing. Highly recommended.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Read the decision. It is very enlightening.

http://www.pamd.uscourts.gov/kitzmiller/...er_342.pdf
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Lord is not on Trial Here Today pineapplebunnybounce 4 1405 November 30, 2013 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: freedomfromforum
  Universe Without Design Xerxes 0 1169 May 4, 2012 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Xerxes
  God On Trial Cyberman 2 1143 April 25, 2012 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hector Avalos completely demolishes intelligent design Justtristo 3 1679 August 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  God on Trial Dotard 4 2160 June 2, 2009 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Stupid Design Giff 1 1722 April 17, 2009 at 8:37 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
Big Grin Proof of Intelligent Design! leo-rcc 4 2185 January 1, 2009 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Stupid Design Darwinian 7 2308 December 30, 2008 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc