Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My journey to Atheism
My journey to Atheism
I'm glad to have found a forum of mostly like minded people even if it isnt in the real world..definitely some irony in there. Anyway I'd just like to share my story because rarely do you get to talk to people who care to talk about this topic of beliefs... Anyway, I grew up in a Christian family, but for the most part loose Christians who didnt force me to read the bible or only hang out with other Christians or put me in Christian schools but would still use muddy language like "spirituallty" or "karma" or "there has to be more out there/design has to be involved" pretty annoying but not brainwashing. As a kid, defining myself was really hard mainly because I had no idea what an Atheist was, people go out of their way to make sure the word is hidden thats for sure. And even if I did know the meaning of Atheist, the stigma attached to the Atheist label is mostly negative, even among religiously tolerant people. So growing up I had this identity issue of not knowing I was an Atheist and why that prevented me from getting along with most people and their crazy thoughts.

I never put the Atheist label on myself until my later high school years that I dont believe in any god(s) and started telling people that preached that they have to have evidence instead of just letting the crazy people talk but not taking it seriously. Religion hardly ever got brought up in my childhood, especially as an arguing point. But to back up a little bit, I never actually accepted the god claim or even the santa claim when I was old enough to think about it rationally, maybe about age 6-7. I became an Atheist after I started thinking about santa, then the easter bunny, then god, none of it was reasonable and my parents never actually had to tell me that santa is fake. And it was very odd to me that the other kids in my class didnt put the pieces together and still blindly believed in supernatural fairy tales even though they were plainly told that santa wasnt real, but oh no the other invisible thing that watches what you do...thats not santa...IS watching what you do and judging you, its ridiculous. It was so clearly a control device over people in my eyes.

I dont know, sorry if that wasnt interesting or original but I felt like sharing with someone.
RE: My journey to Atheism
what's real and what's not all depends on the person perceiving it. In some ways the virtual world is more real than the world we live in.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
Welcome to the Atheist Forums!
You had an easy childhood compared to what most of us here have been through Wink

Hope you like it here.
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
(January 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote: Welcome to the Atheist Forums!
You had an easy childhood compared to what most of us here have been through Wink

Hope you like it here.

From a religious freedom standpoint, yes it was an easier road than some but I think it was almost as harmful that I've never even heard about Atheism as a kid, and it was my position the whole time, I didn't have the internet to just look it up. I told my parents and friends from a young age that I didn't buy the idea of souls and gods, and I never heard a peep out of them about this different way of thinking of a world without supernatural bullshit called Atheism and there were people that werent indoctrinated in fear like me that care about whats true and just want to move forward and progress.