Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tel Dan Inscription
The Tel Dan Inscription
For those who don't know, in 1993 an Israeli archaeologist named Avraham Biran found a shattered stele at Tel Dan in northern Israel. A total of 3 fragments were found and on one of them, in ancient Aramaic, was written: Bit Dwd - which Biran translated as "House of David." Fundies across the trailer parks of the south promptly came in their pants declaring that the "bible" had thus been "proven." Well, not so fast.

In 2003 George Athas, who I believe is Australian, wrote his PH. D. dissertation on the stele and subsequently re-worked it into a book. It is exhaustive and painstaking and spends as much time dealing with the physical artifact as with the text. Athas literally goes over the formation of each letter but there is more.
Athas makes the perfectly obvious view (in retrospect....I had never given this any thought) that the scribe's duty was to write the inscription out on the stone in ink. Then the engraver comes along with his hammer and chisel and uses the ink as a template and carves the letters. Scribes did not do the inscribing themselves. There would have been no need for the inscriber to even be literate. What was needed was good dexterity.
With this idea Athas determined the position of the scribe when writing out the inscription was at the lower edge and he was leaning over the stele to write the lines at the top. There is a slight curvature in the writing because of this positioning and the curve decreases as the scribe moves further down the stele, i.e., he is not having to stretch so far.

Here is why this is important. Avraham Biran put the three fragments he found more or less together and read the inscription in that manner. Athas, using his physical re-construction of the lines, disputes this.

In effect there are two major findings from Athas' work. One, the fragments were not side-by-side in the original stele. Rather, fragment "B" was much lower down on the stele than fragment "A". Right there, the original translations are in trouble. The continuity which Biran wanted in his story simply does not exist.

The second point which Athas deals with is bitdwd itself - which he translates as baytdwd but it doesn't matter. What matters is that everyone, even Biran, agreed we were dealing with an Aramaic text and Aramaic uses word dividers, unlike Hebrew. The word divider ( a dot ) appears all over the rest of the inscription but not between those two critical words ( bit or bayt = House and dvd = David). Athas' conclusion is that this makes it a toponym; a place name rather than a confirmation of any sort of "dynasty." So rather than being an actual person Dvd could simply be some sort of mythic figure in much the same way that the city of Rome was named for Romulus and Athens for Athena.

In all good conscience I can't recommend that anyone actually read Athas' book. When I said it was painstaking put the emphasis on the PAIN. You'd have to be a real archaeology geek to wade through it. However, here is a very fair review of the book which spells out the issues and calls Athas' conclusions "largely compelling."

http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/reviews/review263.htm

Quote:The Tel Dan Inscription is, undeniably, a scholarly tour de force, subverting virtually all previous scholarship on the text. The author’s assertions are wide-ranging and provocative, and even in the rare cases when not entirely convincing they are nevertheless imaginative. At a minimum, it is difficult to argue with Athas’s determination that Fragment B is to be placed well below Fragment A rather than immediately to its left, meaning that most of the previous scholarship on the inscription, based on the current arrangement, is misleading. The amount of data that confronts the reader in this volume can be overwhelming and even exhausting (the sheer volume of information doubtless explains the sporadic typographical errors and problems in phrasing), but navigating through it is a richly rewarding experience. All subsequent work on the Tel Dan inscription will have to contend with this monumental treatment.

Daniel Miller
Bishop’s University

I made a scan of the translation of Fragment A. Biran's translation is available all over the web. The differences are obvious when one moves Fragment "B" back to its original location.

[img][Image: TelDan_Athas.jpg][/img]

The writing inside the brackets [ ] are guesses, there is no legible text to support them.
RE: The Tel Dan Inscription
Min

Excellent post.

With your permission, I'd like to post it in full on Historum forum in a thread on the same topic.
Be my guest, mon ami.

(I speak French whenever possible because it annoys the shit out of the tea-bagging morons running around this country unsupervised!)
(January 20, 2012 at 5:52 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Be my guest, mon ami.

(I speak French whenever possible because it annoys the shit out of the tea-bagging morons running around this country unsupervised!)

d'accord.Cool Shades
Min

What is your opinion of this?:

Quote:--- a new publication by Egyptologists and Biblical scholars Manfred Görg, Peter van der Veen and Christoffer Theis suggests that there may be an even earlier reference to Israel in the Egyptian record. Manfred Görg discovered a broken statue pedestal containing hieroglyphic name-rings in the Egyptian Museum of Berlin and, after studying it with colleagues Peter van der Veen and Christoffer Theis, they suggest that one of the name-rings should be read as “Israel.” Not all scholars agree with their reading because of slight differences in spelling, but Görg, van der Veen and Theis offer strong arguments, including supportive parallels in the Merneptah Stele itself. This newly rediscovered inscription is dated to around 1400 B.C.E.—about 200 years earlier than the Merneptah Stele. If Görg, van der Veen and Theis are right, their discovery will shed important light on the beginnings of ancient Israel.[quote]

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily...of-israel/
It is a damaged inscription which these writers suggest mimics that word which was described by Flinders-Petrie as "Israel." (The actual word, in Egyptian, is Ysirir or Isrir and one of the problems with it is that it appears no where else in the entire body of Egyptian inscriptions from the New Kingdom period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merneptah_Stele

Quote:The stele was discovered in 1896 by Flinders Petrie who located it in the first court of Merneptah's mortuary temple at Thebes.[2] It is now in the collection of the Egyptian Museum at Cairo, and a fragmentary copy of the stele was also found at Karnak.[3] Flinders Petrie called upon Wilhelm Spiegelberg, a German philologist in his archaeological team to translate the newly found massive granite stela. Towards the end of the text, Spiegelberg was puzzled by the mention of one symbol, that of a people or tribe whom Merenptah had victoriously smitten--"I.si.ri.ar?"[4] Petrie quickly suggested that it read: "Israel!"[4] Spiegelberg agreed that this translation must be correct. "Won't the reverends be pleased?" remarked Petrie.[4] At dinner that evening, Petrie who realized the importance of the find said:

"This stele will be better known in the world than anything else I have found."[4]

The problem remains that even if this is a second reference to the word Isrir it still does not tell us what the Egyptians meant by this word. Petrie's guess that it meant "Israel" in the sense that we use the word today seems suspiciously like the arguments that were made for "habiru" or "apiru" meaning "Hebrew" because modern ears thought they sounded that way. They were not.

Other problems with the Merneptah stele aside, we still are no closer to knowing what the Egyptians meant by the word.

Is Aramaic read from right to left? That seems necessary to make sense of A9, or am I missing something?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Yes, I believe so.
I am going to play the devil's advocate here.

As I see it the main flaw of archaeology to reconstruct history is that very little from the distant past actually get preserved in the archaeological record. A good analogue would be trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle with only some of the pictures, what you get is a incomplete picture.

To use an example in Julius Caesar's Gallic Wars, there is a record migration of a tribe called the Helvetti which even accounting for overestimation in numbers, was many thousands of people. However the archaeological evidence for this migration is nil. The same scant archaeological evidence for a lot of mass scale migrations attested in historical writings.
undefined
(January 20, 2012 at 9:04 pm)apophenia Wrote:

Is Aramaic read from right to left?

Oui mon ami.
Actually Just, as I recall, Bibracte is an active archaeological site and some evidence of a fight has been found. Of course, Caesar was perfectly willing to lie to inflate the numbers of enemies he destroyed - he was a politician after all - and archaeology cannot be expected to support exaggerations.

But, then again, there is no sign on the siege ramp at Masada which says "Built by Legio X under T. Flavius Silva" either....but the remains of the ramp are still there. Somebody built it.

Archaeology can give us a big picture only. Was there a city? Was it destroyed? Is there evidence of fighting or might it have been an earthquake? Texts can give us human motives but, as you noted, people lie too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Xtian Inscription Found Minimalist 3 1393 October 2, 2011 at 3:46 am
Last Post: theVOID