Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi!
Hi!
Im new here. I had a thought today that I couldn't find a good answer to so I thought this forum would be the most appropriate place to post the question. I will probably post more in the future so I will go ahead and introduce myself. I am 30 yr old. I have been atheist almost since I was eight years old; although, I didn't admit it to myself until I was about 15. That is when I really started to break down the components of religion and rationalize it for myself. When I was real young the thought of no god popped in my head every once and a while but I think I was too scared to contemplate the idea because the fear of being tortured in hell was always in the back of my head but I don't think I ever REALLY believed. This is such a disgusting thing to do to a child. Anyway, I actually called myself agnostic up until several years ago. Before that I actually was unaware that so many people believed in a god. I knew a lot of people went to church but I didn't think anyone born after 1950 REALLY believed in a god. That was until my brothers wife, who is a christian extremist converted my atheist brother to christianity. He says he believes but I know he can't possibly believe that crap. However, he loves that girl so he will believe anything to be with her. After she got him going to church 3 times a week she started telling me how I needed to read my bible and god want me to do this and that and basically just shoving it down my throat. That was my official turning point from agnostic to atheist because I did a lot of research into religions and what christians believed so I would be well armed when she came at me the next time with that crap. Well, thats my story. Nice to meet you all!

“You don't get to advertise all the good that your religion does without first scrupulously subtracting all the harm it does and considering seriously the question of whether some other religion, or no religion at all, does better. ”
― Daniel C. Dennett
RE: Hi!
I'm curious about how the actions of one person trying to force religion upon you acted as a catalyst that transformed an Agnostic to an Atheist?
Welcome aboard.
Welcome aboard. It's sad what some people will do for love.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(January 25, 2012 at 6:07 pm)Draconic Wrote: I'm curious about how the actions of one person trying to force religion upon you acted as a catalyst that transformed an Agnostic to an Atheist?
Welcome aboard.

Basically because I was extremely bothered by the fact that she told me that god is going to send me to hell to be tortured for eternity for not thinking like her and she feels that is just. After that big discussion I went on to research how to convert people to christianity to learn all the tactics that christians use to persuade people so I would be well armed with counter-arguments to all her points the next time it came up. Since then I have learned a lot about how disgusting and dangerous religions are.

Also, I was always and Atheist I just incorrectly identified myself as an Agnostic.
“You don't get to advertise all the good that your religion does without first scrupulously subtracting all the harm it does and considering seriously the question of whether some other religion, or no religion at all, does better. ”
― Daniel C. Dennett