Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obligatory introduction topic
Obligatory introduction topic
So this is my one post where I get to be all conceited and spend the entire time talking about myself, right? Sweet.

I'm a Computer Information Systems major, wrapping up my last year of college. This is a forum about religion (and/or the lack thereof), so I'm gonna start there:

I was raised Baptist, in one of those old-fashioned local churches with a congregation of 20-30 people, and no youth section worth mentioning.

My mom was the song director and my older brother decided that he wanted to be a preacher when I was around 12 or so.

I wouldn't be able to tell you when I started really doubting my faith, but even when I was a believer, it always felt like I was just playing the part. I would put on my Christian face for Sunday morning, and go about my daily life as if nothing had changed during the other 166½ hours of the week.

I was probably around 15 when I rationalized that God was a lie, but I kept playing the part, pretending to fit in for fear of facing rejection. I'm sure a lot of you can empathize with what that's like, sitting miserably in the pews, listening to the propaganda, still susceptible enough to your early childhood programming that you start doubting your lack of beliefs and feeling guilt, until you come to terms with rationality again.

It's honestly amazing how susceptible a young mind is, especially when the beliefs you're instilling into a child have a consequence for disbelief in the magnitude of burning alive for the rest of eternity. I'm angry at religion for forcing such thoughts on children, because through personal experience, it's a bitch to overcome later on in life.
To me, the testimonial of an atheist's independence and induction to unraveling the inconsistencies of what religion teaches and what the world provides as evidence, is infinitely more beautiful that a conversion story involving faith.

My conversion got a lot easier when my brother told me that he didn't believe in God anymore. This gave me someone, an ally, in which to converse about what we were going through. He straight away, openly started admitting his atheism and quit attending church. I imagine to a parent it must have looked like a kid being rebellious, with him being 18 at the time, and me getting the courage to denounce my faith shortly after.

I don't really know what to say after that paragraph. It's been years, my family knows and respects my religious views. I didn't expect this topic to get so long, i probably should have put it in the other subforum dedicated to conversion stories.

Oh well, this is me.
RE: Obligatory introduction topic
No, that's a fine introduction. You could put it in the conversion stories, if that is what you want to discuss. If the goal in mind is to help us get to know you and why you came here, it is great right where it is. Welcome to the forums. I think you'll find others here that are like-minded, both in your choice of education and your deconversion.
Welcome to the forums!

Cool looking profile
Welcome
Welcome and thanks for the story.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I appreciate all the warm welcomes. Now I've just gotta figure out what to finish my profile with, and start posting my opinions all over the place.
(January 26, 2012 at 7:44 pm)phurgawtin Wrote: posting my opinions all over the place.

Oh, we forgot to mention, all opinions are prohibited, unless they coincide with mine, of course.
(January 26, 2012 at 8:01 pm)Shell B Wrote: Oh, we forgot to mention, all opinions are prohibited, unless they coincide with mine, of course.

[Image: god_damn_hippies_by_brotoad-d3gh8g1.png]
Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEw64-X6m...re=related

I be hitting bitches with opinions.

Sorry. I think I need sleep and less time online.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 726 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 959 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1945 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1353 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 3926 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2257 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 1986 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1154 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 976 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2896 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2