Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US plummets 20 places
US plummets 20 places
US Plummets On World Press Freedom Ranking

Reporters Without Borders released its 2011-2012 global Press Freedom Index. The indicators for press freedom in the U.S. are dramatic, with a downward movement from 27th to 47th in the global ranking, from the previous year. Much of this is correlated directly to the arrest and incarceration of American journalists covering the 'Occupy' protest movements in New York and across the country. 'This is especially troubling as we head into an election year which is sure to spark new conflicts between police and press covering rallies, protests and political events.' Only Chile, who dropped from 33 to 80, joined the U.S. in falling over 100% of their previous ranking. Similarly, Chile was downgraded for 'freedom of information violations committed by the security forces during student protests.'

Free speech in the US? My ass!
RE: US plummets 20 places
We Brits are 28th dropping 2 places. WTF, Mali, Surinam, Namibia and Cape Verde. All I can say is well done to those countries, they should be proud of their Governments for not dicking press freedom.
Yep, America is steadily forgetting the ideals on which it was founded, and the terrified, superstitious mob of people that inhabits this country just eats it up as "patriotism" and "moral justice."
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Quote:Mali, Surinam, Namibia and Cape Verde.

I wonder what they would have to hide?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The problem with "Holy Places". onlinebiker 28 2344 March 8, 2020 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath