Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydroponics
Hydroponics
Anyone do hydroponics here?
What type of set-up do you use?
What do you grow?
RE: Hydroponics
Love hydro. Whatcha growin?

Vertigro, mixed veggies/fruit

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm)paintpooper Wrote: Anyone do hydroponics here?
What type of set-up do you use?
What do you grow?

I've been using hydroponics for about 10 years.

Cost me about $50 to set up on my deck.. it's very simple,no constant reticulation.

I have grown tomatoes, corn and herbs such a basil, chives, parseley, and Vietnamese mint (a form of coriander)

These days mainly for striking cuttings and getting a good root system established.

METHOD

The medium can be one of several things,get it from a hydroponics shop.(around $25 for a huge bag)

The black containers were about $10 each from a reject shop. I burned a few holes in a small circle for drainage,using a soldering iron.. I put the large containers on bricks,or set up as you see in the photo.
Smaller containers are placed underneath to catch the drain off which is no more then one bucketful of water. The collected water is re used for up to 3 days, 2-3 times a day. More is fine but the nutrient I use is expensive @ $50 for 5 litres (1.3 US gal)
I use I cap of the complete nutrient in a bucket of water. I'm sure there are various kinds of nutrient which can be used.,Might be a good idea to do some research.

IF you are going to ingest what you grow,you will need to flush the plants with clean water over a couple of days..

[Image: 2007_0405mixed0014-1.jpg]

[Image: 2008_0601g28090002.jpg]

[Image: 2008_0601g28090004.jpg]
Lets just say I would love to show pictures. But I shouldn't....

I do want to get into larger scale hydro though with veggies and fruits. But Alaska has not much for natural light year round, so all my hydro is indoors in controlled environments.

Do you use rockwool mediums? And hydroton rocks?

I currently use an ebb n flow type recirculation system where I pump nutrients into the mediums which then drain back into the central vat.

Growing pot in Alaska? Sounds fun.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Nah no growing of pot. Even though it is legal by state constitution here, 25 plants is technically legal under state law.
Quote:Do you use rockwool mediums? And hydroton rocks?

No.Those white things which look like pebbles ( (I forget the name) is that stuff they use to fill bean bags,or a lot like it. Because I don't have a constant water flow,the medium needs to have some water retention properties. Vermiculite is also good.
While I am no green thumb (plants wither when I walk by), I have friends who do hydroponics - and I'm a big fan of their "produce".
I already drive my roommate nuts, but when I get my own place I'd love to start.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(January 27, 2012 at 8:52 pm)paintpooper Wrote: Nah no growing of pot. Even though it is legal by state constitution here, 25 plants is technically legal under state law.

I knew that about Alaska but...You like drugs and you dont grow your own pot state-legally? Blasphemy, I'll send you the seeds and you can get it started for us

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RE: More hydroponics in ag. The Grand Nudger 16 5188 July 31, 2011 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Skeptic