Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is religion Dying?
Question 
Is religion Dying?
just wondering will we ever achive that our planet will be called united atheist alliance and that we would all be atheists?

Not sure If Atheist,Or just Reasonable!

WARNING: If you arent an atheist you will not be tolerated by this user Wink Shades
RE: Is religion Dying?
Instead of saying Religion is dying, which I think is true. I'd go ahead and say that Atheism is growing. A little off topic but, South Park had a great episode about the future of Atheism in the episode "Go God Go". Which dealt with a future where everybody's Atheist (very realistic imo) and instead of fighting about religion they fight about Science and what everyone should be called (Allied Atheist Alligeance, United Atheist League, Unified Atheist Alliance) which I could see happening but its almost an equivication fallacy by saying Science would have holy wars over different Science or even Atheism.
If I am not mistaken while Christianity may be diminishing in America it is growing due to evangelistic efforts in Africa, Asia, etc.

I believe it is changing though. I think Christianity is getting more and more away from Hell/punishment and more towards love/charity. To be brutually honest if Christianity was completely pro-science + humanitarian and all about treating their fellow men better it would actually help instead of hurt.

I think it will continue to evolve/change until it pretty much looks nothing like what it does now. There are already Christian groups that don't believe in Hell. Just think of where Christianity was fifty years ago compared to today.

The catholic church is a good example of this I think. They recently accepted evolution as being true etc. The catholic church will be the last Christian group to go in my opinion because it will just adapt and adapt and adapt Tongue
I think that religion is declining, not dying.
The numbers of people who live a christian lifestyle in Europe are not much, at least from what I've seen.
Although I must add that I also met quite a lot of people that went to church every sunday while my time in Germany.
I've even attended a few sermons myself, and played with friends at the church courtyard.

And as always, religiosity declined with the ages of the people nearing their teenages, where they want to be wild, and either going that way, or increasing as the teens go over to university. From there on, it can also influence their political standpoints.
How?
I once had a friend who supported the TKP(Turkish communist party) back when he was 17, but when we met up with him later on when he was 20, he told me over the drinking table that he voted for the MHP(the polar opposite of the TKP), in the last elections, just like me.
He also became mildly religious, attending friday prayers, whereas he acted quite *atheistic* back in high-school.
Not that I've not seen the reverse, but well...
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Well, I honestly think that more and more people are growing away from religion, and have heard that a few nations may have religion die out in 100 years, like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Ireland (I know, right?), Austria, the Czech Republic, Finland and Switzerland.

That said, I think that if the world does away with religion altogether, I honestly think that the term "atheist" will stop being used mainly because it will be as useful as a term for people who believe that the Holocaust happened, Barack Obama was born in Hawaii, or that Elvis died in 1977.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Well IMO religion is dying, but all is not great because of it. People are becoming less religious mostly due to laziness and not so much because of an increase in intelligence (which is obvious, because intelligence is not really increasing). So I guess yes religion is dying, but in the slowest, most painful and most half-assed way possible.

I guess I would rather live in a country of lazy, averagely intelligent atheists than of smart-ass Christians. (Does that make me a bad person?)
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
I understand that religion is becoming less of a focus in the lives of your average person. I also understand that there are a number of "Doomsday predictions" yet to be gotten past until people will stop worrying about "Getting in good with the guys in charge"

I would posit that the emergence of extremist religious nut-jobs is the result of the decline in numbers for the mainstream religious groups globally.... humans have always sought safety in numbers, it is a comforting thing. As we now have greater access and knowledge to the global community this will still cause people to cling to something that has given comfort over the years.

I don't think Australia will be rid of religious nonsense any time soon thanks to the Asylum Seeker movement but one can hope.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Religion died long ago.
It simply hasn't realised it yet.
It's just a zombie thing.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
I do not know much about other religions so it's hard to say whether they are in decline or not. Islam is growing from what I have heard, can not say for sure. As for Christianity it's on the decline in the US but, I believe it's those who do not take it seriously and if this is so then there will be less ambiguity in Christianity making it stronger but, with fewer people. Christianity is growing in many parts of the world, I've been told that there are more Christians in China than people in the US. Christianity has grown so strong in South Korea they have been sending missionaries to the US. Generally when there is truth in a religion they last and last, so many have died out through the centuries but Christianity 2000 years and will last till the end.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
I would say that god-belief might be waning, but I agree with Atheist - it's not necessarily because of intelligence. There's plenty of other stuff in this world people cling to with religious-like fervor because they don't use their noggins. "Woo" is on the rise plenty. It's also plenty easy to argue about science thanks to the illiteracy of the general public, great marketing departments and skillful orators - otherwise we wouldn't have this anti-vax bullshit currently KILLING children. Angry
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God and Death, dying out. WinterHold 13 2203 May 14, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10596 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4868 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "I can't see the wishom behind babies dying from cancer" is argument from ignorance ReptilianPeon 16 4100 December 7, 2015 at 1:06 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19598 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  It's Dying Out! Minimalist 24 3661 May 28, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 48965 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Despite baby dying after getting herpes, Orthodox rabbis say they’ll defy law. CapnAwesome 22 9152 September 24, 2012 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Have some fun dying... Rokcet Scientist 4 1623 February 1, 2012 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5160 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused