Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 18, 2024, 11:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History Channel: The Universe
History Channel: The Universe
[Image: Universetitle.PNG]
Quote:Cosmic Holes - Today, we know black holes exist, and now scientists are trying to confirm that other holes lurk in hyperspace. Our infinite cosmos could contain a variety of "holes" such as black, white, "mini" and wormholes. White holes are the reverse of black holes; instead of matter being sucked into it, matter is ejected out. Wormholes are gateways in the fabric of space and time. They are included in Einstein's field equations as possibilities for their existence. Neither white holes nor wormholes have ever been found. Learn about new discoveries including, colliding binary black holes, intermediate black holes and manufacturing mini black holes.

Cosmic Holes S2E2
Link:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...5D6551173A64C9
Dark Matter: S2E6
Quote:Dark Matter - Scientists have no idea what it is, but Dark Matter and Dark Energy make up 96% of the Universe. Dark Matter is everywhere. It passes through everything we know on earth at billions of particles every second, yet no one has ever gotten a direct detection of this mysterious dark substance. An even more bewildering force is Dark Energy, which is rapidly pushing apart our Universe. Discovered only ten years ago, scientists are struggling to comprehend its unusual characteristics and answer the ultimate question; what is the fate of our Universe? Using cutting-edge computer graphics watch as the universe is brought down to earth.

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=...35D45AD42C
The Milky Way: S2E4
Quote:The Milky Way - We used to think that Earth was at the center of the universe, but now we know we're not even at the center of our own galaxy. Countless wonders exist between where earth is situated and the massive black hole at the galactic center of our galaxy. Within the Milky Way can be found the debris of old, dying stars fueling the birth of new stars and at the galactic center hypervelocity stars get catapulted clear beyond the Milky Way's outer rim at unimaginable speeds. Come along for a guided tour of 100,000 light-year-wide family of stars and stellar phenomena we call The Milky Way.

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...58DA7BB2214F3B
RE: Dark Matter:
(May 8, 2009 at 2:16 am)g-mark Wrote: It passes through everything we know on earth at billions of particles every second, yet no one has ever gotten a direct detection of this mysterious dark substance.

I don't think this is true. It's neutrinos you're thinking about here, I think.
(that's a lot of thinks Tongue )

All we know about dark matter is that something with gravitational mass makes up a large portion of galaxies, because they orbit faster than they should if they contained only the observable mass (stars).

As far as I know, we don't know whether it's in localised areas or "passing through everything". Since it's untedectable, surely this can't be known?
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
RE: Cosmic Holes, dark matter, and other scifi stuff.
Im not a physist. I can't answer your question. It is just some information I found.
RE: History Channel: The Universe
G-Mark,

I suspect you're turning into an adherent of pseudo-science I really do!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Cosmic Holes, dark matter, and other scifi stuff.
(May 8, 2009 at 6:04 am)g-mark Wrote: Im not a physist. I can't answer your question. It is just some information I found.

It's not true :p
Well, it may be, but there's no way to know.
Since we have no idea about the mass of one dark matter "particle", it's impossible to say the density needed to explain observations.
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Why do they look for it then?
(May 8, 2009 at 9:20 am)g-mark Wrote: Why do they look for it then?

To explain why galaxies orbit faster than they should.

Either there is a large amount of mass there that emits no radiation (and hence we cannot observe), or our theory of gravity is wrong.
We have been discovering new particles as recently as 1995 (top quark) and our description of gravity works so well that we have such accurate satellite navigation, can derive the Earth's orbital period etc.

Therefore it seems reasonable to assume the former.

My issue was that you quoted that there are "billions of particles per second"
This is an absolutely baseless statement
Does electromagnetic radiation travel through us?

Yes, I posted the quote. But I dind't write it.

lilphil Wrote:This is an absolutely baseless statement

How so?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best song in the history of mankind WinterHold 25 1537 August 28, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  The History of Dragons Mechaghostman2 5 570 March 13, 2018 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Video Alternative World History trustyoursources 8 1334 March 17, 2017 at 6:53 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  So, is anyone familiar with the "Solving History with Olly Steed" series?s abaris 0 1047 September 1, 2015 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: abaris
  National Geographic Channel: T. Rex Autopsy Secular Elf 1 1061 June 7, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Great Austrialian youtube documentary channel Something completely different 0 910 July 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  History Channel's "The Bible" - In Under 10 Minutes pocaracas 13 3941 April 22, 2013 at 5:24 am
Last Post: Dragonetti
  The History Channel Has Gone To Shit Minimalist 17 6407 August 1, 2012 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Universe Without Design Xerxes 0 1168 May 4, 2012 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Xerxes
  Did god create the universe? Stephen Hawking Ace Otana 7 3168 March 22, 2012 at 12:35 am
Last Post: AthiestAtheist