Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else feel how Christian biased history taught at school is?
Anyone else feel how Christian biased history taught at school is?
The periods of history in school which would completely blacken one's view of Christianity are normally avoided.

The disintegration on Roman civilization and technology into the Dark Ages mainly due to Christianity was not mentioned at school.
I think that the this period of around the 4th century when Christian fanatics like Theodosius became in control of the Roman Empire is one of the most important in history.

We never get to hear about the Baltic crusades or the Christianization of Scandinavia.
There is a general bias against the Vikings because they were Pagans and non English/non Latin speaking.
They are portrayed as violent and uncultured but I do not think they any more brutal than Christian civilizations during the Dark Ages such as the Normans.
RE: Anyone else feel how Christian biased history taught at school is?
It's funny how in grade school and high school none of that is mentioned by teachers or the text book.

And when you get to college, you read and study all of this stuff for the first time.
Why would a teacher slander a religion when 80% of the population (of the United States) is that religion. :/

Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
They completetly blank out the dark ages in history textbooks for a reason...
(January 29, 2012 at 8:09 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote: Why would a teacher slander a religion when 80% of the population (of the United States) is that religion. :/

Because
1) it is not slander, but the inconvenient truth. And you wouldn't want teachers to lie to their pupils, would you?
2) history as a subject should cover what happened. Failure to do so is falsification of history. Fortunately the bible, God, and JC are fairy tales. Not history. So they shouldn't be covered in history class in the first place. What Xtians did, though, in the name of Xtianity, IS history, of course. So that should be covered in history class.
(January 29, 2012 at 8:36 pm)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: 1) it is not slander, but the inconvenient truth. And you wouldn't want teachers to lie to their pupils, would you?
2) history as a subject should cover what happened. Failure to do so is falsification of history. Fortunately the bible, God, and JC are fairy tales. Not history. So they shouldn't be covered in history class in the first place. What Xtians did, though, in the name of Xtianity, IS history, of course. So that should be covered in history class.

It's funny how if you tell a Christian the history of their religion, they will say how you are slandering their religion and how history isn't important.

But they will be quick to name big names like Hitler and Stalin because they were atheists... Argue Hypocrites..
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
Quote:But they will be quick to name big names like Hitler and Stalin because they were atheists... Hypocrites..

And STILL get history WRONG!! ROFLOL

I remember having to study some Ancient History and then follow through to Modern History while some of my classmates did Geography.... we couldn't do both and I wish we could have but my point being is that this was in Years 7 -10 at High School. I wonder if that is done in this day and age in Australia.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote: It's funny how if you tell a Christian the history of their religion, they will say how you are slandering their religion and how history isn't important.

But they will be quick to name big names like Hitler and Stalin because they were atheists... Argue Hypocrites..
Yeah. Hilarious, but I'm mouth-foaming angry at religious people who are trying to modify the kids' education to suit their religious agenda. Besides, the history is also important part of kids' education.

Do they even teach World History in high school anymore? I thought one of the big arguments was that they did away with it in order to teach world cultures?

The net result of that is that kids graduate high school without knowing anything about history, culture or geography.
AP World History is still taught, and it is improving in its historical methods. In addition, our school teaches Classics before U.S. History, followed by AP World. Physical geography is a required course as well.
Trying to update my sig ...
(January 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Do they even teach World History in high school anymore? I thought one of the big arguments was that they did away with it in order to teach world cultures?

The net result of that is that kids graduate high school without knowing anything about history, culture or geography.

Just showing our age Min Tiger
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you feel about all these creationists? suddenlymark 32 3131 August 15, 2023 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anyone else just drop religion with a snap of the finger? PookieNumNums 21 2438 July 16, 2020 at 10:12 am
Last Post: Gnomey
  What book has the most history? georgecarlin 43 5567 May 13, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Awkward School Religious Experiences? Jade-Green Stone 14 1336 December 8, 2018 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  School bible circle ShirkahnW 9 1123 November 20, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 6879 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Does anyone else fall down the rabbit hole Figbash 18 2321 October 14, 2018 at 4:53 am
Last Post: no one
Question Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words? Der/die AtheistIn 63 11322 January 17, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7225 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  When does biblical history begin ? possibletarian 59 22221 November 24, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: possibletarian