Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
While Looking For Something Else
While Looking For Something Else
I stumbled across this observation from H. L. Mencken.

Quote:I am one of the few Goyim who have ever actually tackled the Talmud. I suppose you now expect me to add that it is a profound and noble work, worthy of hard study by all other Goyim. Unhappily, my report must differ from this expectation. It seems to me, save for a few bright spots, to be quite indistinguishable from rubbish. If, at its highest, it is genuinely worth reading, then at its lowest it is on all fours with the Koran, "Science and Health" and the Book of Mormon.

Something there to piss off almost every theist!
RE: While Looking For Something Else
Just like few Christians have ever really read the bible. I'm now wondering if any true Muslims have ever really read the Koran.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Funny...I stumbled across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8YhED4Ig...AAAAAAAMAA
I'm sharing that. It's hilarious!
Thread starts funny. Thread gets hijacked. Thread becomes even funnier. Thread delivers GOLD!!!! Big Grin
(January 31, 2012 at 3:03 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Just like few Christians have ever really read the bible. I'm now wondering if any true Muslims have ever really read the Koran.
To be fair, I haven't completely read the Koran either to conserve brain cells and cultural distance.
Then, wonder how many Scientologists have actually read Dianetics or Mormons The Book of Mormon.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
i read Dianetics cover to cover...so fucking boring.

the book of Mormon I tried to read....I lost interest quick. I was like "Hey...this shit was stolen from the bible"
And the bible was stolen from the Babylonians but no matter. It was so old by that time that the copyright had expired.
I was brought up Catholic and went to Catholic schools. We were actually discouraged from reading the bible lest we misunderstood and became confused. (really) So naturally, I read it,cover-to-cover at 16 and understood immediately. [why they did not want us to read it] I remember being appalled that the book of Revelations was included in the canon,as it was obviously written by a very disturbed person who had gotten hold of a powerful hallucinogen.

I had my first attempt at reading the Book Of Mormon at around age 25.Over the years I've had two more attempts,without success.I'm just not able to take it seriously.

At around 30 I read The Q'uran, Liked it a bit more than the New Testament; God seemed to have mellowed a bit over the previous thousand years or so.

Could not get into 'Dianetics' (Hubbard was hack Sci Fi writer at best)

Also once borrowed Helena Blavatsky's "The Secret Doctrine". I was the first person to ever borrow it. I read about 200 pages before concluding the woman was a complete loon,and giving up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else just drop religion with a snap of the finger? PookieNumNums 21 2438 July 16, 2020 at 10:12 am
Last Post: Gnomey
  Jesus Attended a Wedding While Also in the Wilderness YahwehIsTheWay 15 1895 November 30, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: tackattack
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 6880 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Does anyone else fall down the rabbit hole Figbash 18 2321 October 14, 2018 at 4:53 am
Last Post: no one
  Came across something on YouTube and had a very immature thought GODZILLA 20 2829 October 5, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
Question Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words? Der/die AtheistIn 63 11322 January 17, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
Information You must seek something else, or something is seriously wrong with you WinterHold 23 3353 August 7, 2016 at 7:52 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Looking for a document SuperSlayer 4 1018 July 5, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: John V
  So, this is something upon which I was reflecting Foxaèr 12 2614 June 2, 2016 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Anyone else here also post over at W.L. Craig's website? Whateverist 16 3020 March 2, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Nuda900