Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion and violence
Religion and violence
I cant seem to make up my mind.
Do religion per definition create violent people or do violent people us religion to do violent acts?
"We came from the sea originally, now we're going back in it. Don't go in it, unless you're in a boat."
RE: Religion and violence
Personal observation is that people use religion to perpetrate violent acts and so absolve themselves of any guilt.

PERSONAL OPINION mind you
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 1, 2012 at 2:08 am)Of_Tomato Wrote: I cant seem to make up my mind.
Do religion per definition create violent people or do violent people us religion to do violent acts?

It is not either/or, it is both:
if a religion is tolerant – like Buddhism – it does not create violent people. Unfortunately most religions are intolerant.
And violent people use religion as a fig leaf/excuse/justification to commit their violence.

Correction: Buddhism is not really a religion, there are no gods in Buddhism. It is rather a way of life without gods. But the similarity with religion is close.
We just need to look at history for a bit to answer this one. Popes started wars like the Crusades which killed vast numbers of people and then continued with inquisitions that killed plenty of people in Europe too. No doubt this was due to the need for the popes to retain their authority through fear.

Islam started its career peacefully enough until it had enough support to start fighting. Mo seems to have like power more than anything else and did not worry about who died to enable him to keep it. Nothing much different today really.

I rather think that the religion gets peaceful people more violent and also the more power-hungry people seek offices in religion to have the authority to do violence. Really both ideas are probably right,
What im wondering is, will/can religion turn an non-violent person into a violent one or does that person turn violence because of other variables, politics, social differances etc. Do religion alone, turn non-violent people, violent?
"We came from the sea originally, now we're going back in it. Don't go in it, unless you're in a boat."
I have to agree with Rokcet Scientist. I think a little of both. Look at Christian terrorists in America for example. One can clearly see that Eric Rudolph was probably a violent person who used his religion to bomb abortion clinics & set one off at the Olympic games.

Shelly Shannon, on the other hand, was just an ordinary but fundie housewife who probably wasn't a violent person, but was driven by her religion to shoot Dr. George Tiller in both arms because he performed abortions.

Scott Roeder is a tossup. It's possible that he was violent to begin with, but it was definitely religion which caused him to kill Dr. Tiller, and he probably to this day justifies it in his mind because he saved all those innocent babies.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10699 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Sexism and Violence exist in ALL religions.... Brian37 6 3041 March 20, 2016 at 9:36 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4893 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19757 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Violence is the Natural conclusion of Religion. Spooky 34 5949 March 17, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Smaug
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49202 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Why do "religions" often lead to violence? RichardP 13 5284 January 28, 2013 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: HorribleOffensiveScouser91
  Op/ed, violence and god as a broken concept Brian37 16 5801 December 18, 2012 at 3:42 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Dispatches - Lessons in Hate and Violence Reforged 1 1408 July 26, 2012 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5177 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused