Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 12:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi all, new user here!
Hi all, new user here!
Hi everyone!

I stumbled across these forums the other day and instantly felt at home here so thought I'd register and join in! I'm a 32 year old (young..) guy from the North East of England. I was thinking the other day when I first started considering myself to be an Atheist and I feel I always have been, well as a kid I suppose I believed what I was told but my folks are both scientists (chemist and biologist) so I was always taught to question things from an early age.

I always had a passion for science and did my degree in Applied Physics which has over the years turned me into a very sceptical and cynical person! lol. I know its very politically incorrect to say but I'm sure you won't mind, that I have nothing but utter contempt for any form of organised religion. How anyone can swallow and actually believe in all that nonsense really infuriates me, it may sound very arrogant of me but I just wish they could see the world through my eyes for just a few minutes and they would see the wonder I see but without any need for supernatural explanations!

Thats not to say I am close minded, I'm prepared to listen to any and all evidence and if I can see merit in the argument I am more than willing to re-evaluate my opinions - that is afterall what a good scientist does!

Anyway, I look forward to many debates with all you enlightened people!
The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true - Carl Sagan
RE: Hi all, new user here!
Welcome Mr Skeptic and thankyou for posting an intro.

Enjoy your stay here mate Thumb up
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome! This is a great website. It sounds like you come from a stock of good genes in your family. Looking forward to reading your posts. Smile
You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

Buddha FSM Grin

Welcome.
Cunt
(February 2, 2012 at 3:25 am)MrSkeptic Wrote: Anyway, I look forward to many debates with all you enlightened people!

I hope you will occasionally deign to exchange pleasantries with a benighted pudding.

Velcome
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
Oh great...just what we need on this atheist forums....

...another atheist!

Smile
Quote:I'm prepared to listen to any and all evidence and if I can see merit in the argument I am more than willing to re-evaluate my opinions

The theists we get around here aren't big on evidence. I don't suppose any are.

You'll fit right in, however.
Thanks for the welcome folks! Smile
(February 2, 2012 at 11:12 am)The Magic Pudding Wrote:
(February 2, 2012 at 3:25 am)MrSkeptic Wrote: Anyway, I look forward to many debates with all you enlightened people!

I hope you will occasionally deign to exchange pleasantries with a benighted pudding.

Velcome

Love your username! I look forward to exchanging pleasantries in the near future! Smile
The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi everybody! New here (She/It) requiredfield 22 454 April 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New Here Nomistic 13 564 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Blessings/Greetings to all here. Nishant Xavier 10 1176 June 15, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  AF User Map! wolf39us 142 50627 June 8, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 963 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New here Rdougall 9 1258 January 27, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New guy here Roykok 8 1090 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New user, recent deconvert Lucian 5 800 September 9, 2022 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New Here probablynothing#34 18 1413 June 30, 2022 at 4:05 pm