Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Mortality?
Atheist Mortality?
I once considered myself a Christian. I was baptized a Catholic and in my 11th grade year of highschool I confirmed as a Catholic.

So I grew up learning the bible and all what Jesus tries to teach us in that Holy Piece of Shit.

Anyway, as most of you know.. believers tend to think, and more often, call us things like, "immoral" and "evil" or "corrupted" or anything along those lines.

I wish these fucking morons would actually get to know who someone is before asking them if they are a believer or not..

As an atheist, I actually agree with a lot of what the bible says! As an atheist, I also disagree with parts of the bible (the sick and mundane parts of the bible that belittle humans)

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

1 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.

2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.

3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Seriously.. FUCK YOU GOD!

5 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
6 “You shall not murder.
7 “You shall not commit adultery.
8 “You shall not steal.
9 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”

Wow, God you actually make sense with this one a little.. Maybe you're not such an douche bag.

As an atheist, I'd have to say I agree with a lot of what the bible says, about how to treat others fairly, and to not hurt others.

I'm a very good person. It's ashame how closed minded religious people are. I don't judge people, I don't hurt people, and I respect everyone.. Until they cross that line and disrespecting me for nothing. I don't need to be saved.

I know I put a lot in this post, and it's not organized (when are my posts ever organized Tongue) but I just wanted to see what you guys think about atheists and morality. Does following a set of rules determine morality? Or is morality more individual?

Just a lot of thoughts Smile

Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
RE: Atheist Mortality?
Quote:but I just wanted to see what you guys think about atheists and morality

Then why did the Thread Title say Atheist Mortality.

I was all ready to agree that we are "mortal."
(February 4, 2012 at 1:34 am)Minimalist Wrote: Then why did the Thread Title say Atheist Mortality.

I was all ready to agree that we are "mortal."

That's funny, I totally didn't notice that.

Anyways, you have been here for like, ever. When are you gonna start quoting properly?
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
Quote:When are you gonna start quoting properly?

I can't be bothered. I just copy and paste what I want.

I utterly hate these multi-quoted threads which quickly become unreadable.
(February 4, 2012 at 1:17 am)Loading Please Wait Wrote: I once considered myself a Christian. I was baptized a Catholic and in my 11th grade year of highschool I confirmed as a Catholic.

So I grew up learning the bible and all what Jesus tries to teach us in that Holy Piece of Shit.

Anyway, as most of you know.. believers tend to think, and more often, call us things like, "immoral" and "evil" or "corrupted" or anything along those lines.

I wish these fucking morons would actually get to know who someone is before asking them if they are a believer or not..

As an atheist, I actually agree with a lot of what the bible says! As an atheist, I also disagree with parts of the bible (the sick and mundane parts of the bible that belittle humans)

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

1 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.

2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.

3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Seriously.. FUCK YOU GOD!

5 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
6 “You shall not murder.
8 “You shall not steal.
10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”

Wow, God you actually make sense with this one a little.. Maybe you're not such an douche bag.

As an atheist, I'd have to say I agree with a lot of what the bible says, about how to treat others fairly, and to not hurt others.

I'm a very good person. It's ashame how closed minded religious people are. I don't judge people, I don't hurt people, and I respect everyone.. Until they cross that line and disrespecting me for nothing. I don't need to be saved.

I know I put a lot in this post, and it's not organized (when are my posts ever organized Tongue) but I just wanted to see what you guys think about atheists and morality. Does following a set of rules determine morality? Or is morality more individual?

Just a lot of thoughts Smile

I would say that any moral "commandment" is an insult to the morality of any thinking and rational man. Commandment implies that it should be obeyed without question, whereas use of reason requires you do not obey blindly, but question it and accept it only after rational justification is provided.

Regarding morality - I think that there would be a set of universal and objective principles which form the basis of morality. These principles would not be "god-given" and they would not be arbitrary. These set would not require agreement by everyone since its tenets would be rationally justifiable. We haven't discovered the complete set of these principles yet, but we are getting there.

The application of there principles would differ from person to person, according to the time, place and the context in which they are being applied. For example, consider the commandment "honor your parents". This is just a given command without any specification on why it should be obeyed.

But when you honor someone, you acknowledge their value or worthiness. That requires that they be a source of value to you. The individual application of this objective principle requires you to honor your parents if they you consider that they have given you some value. But if they have been an overall negative influence on your life, you should not honor them
Atheist Mortality?? Same as every other bastard whose arsehole points to the ground...meh
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:Load copied this fax:

6 “You shall not murder.
8 “You shall not steal.

EVer heard of reversE psychologY? These inhumane, uncivilized actions are inherently understood as being wrong and against human nature and instinct. Conscience, buddha nature, survivalism, common sense, whatever you want to call it, needs no religion or dogma to tell us this most obvious knowledge, TO US NOW!!! These 10 commandments implant into us the festering seeds of sinful thought in the first place quite paradoxically. Look at the conclusion of these 10 commandments...#10..Now, I would never originally fathom the idea of coveting my neighbor's male servant, or his donkey for my pleasure or gain. That is really some sick and perverse presumption to place on all humanity. The Bible is actually like some twisted evil rationalization of evil. It is a bloody cursed book! It is full of Jewish propaganda and Catholic lies, and as Peter Joseph insightfully said in his film 'Zeiitgeist', "Christianity is the spiritual fraud for the ages!"

The Bible is full of death and ugliness. Drop Christianity like a bad habit! Uhh...Thou shall not murder..... NO SHIT! thx for the rules.
You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

Buddha FSM Grin

Its fairly self-evident that general morality is inherent in humans, as others have mentioned. Rational inquiry and the progression of humankind slowly adds detail and expounds upon what already comes naturally to us. As far as the bible goes, the few genuine moral things it mentions are completely obvious and are in no way original to the bible itself. They are principles that developed in different societies and situations entirely independent of each other. The bible itself is worth something only in a historical sense.

Also, I was entirely disappointed that this wasn't a thread meant for the debate of atheist mortality. I was getting all pumped up to demonstrate my theory of eternal existence within the confines of banana cream pie.
[Image: sig3-2.jpg]
100%. Guaranteed!
Any worthwhile morality in the bible is plagarised Buddhism, so as far as any revelatory morality is concerned, the bible is worthless.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technology and immorality vs religion and mortality dyresand 10 4551 June 28, 2015 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: dyresand