Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Compassionate, the Merciful"?
"The Compassionate, the Merciful"?
The Surahs in the Quran all begin with "In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful".

There is so much emphasis by Islam that God is Merciful and Compassionate. His Mercy is said to encompass all things in one verse.

I was going to post this in the Islam forum, but I think this discussion can encompass Christians as well.

In Quran intense torture is promised to the following people:

1: Those whom take another god besides the one true god
2: Those whom disbelieve in revelations/guidance of God
3: Those whom desire the life of this world
4: Those whom do not believe in God's revelation/guidance/signs

Now I don't see how it all God can be deemed compassionate and merciful, when he will not only punish these people, which includes majority of human beings, but he will torture them.

If he was compassionate to human beings, how can he torture a person for beliefs? Also, isn't nature to desire the life of this world, so how can a Compassionate Merciful being promise hell fire to such a natural thing.

I think the idea of this God is not remotely close to being Compassionate or Merciful.

The same is true of Christian concept of hell. If we don't believe in the bible, which has no conclusive evidence for it, we end up in hell. The same logic applies. How is this at all a Merciful God.

I don't think anyone ever brags about God torturing people. No one will say God is so great he is going to put all disbelievers of his religion in hell-fire.

When people want to magnify their concept of God, they will bring how merciful he is to accept repentance no matter what the sin is. How much God loves people. Things like that.

This tells me, people intuitively don't admire the unmerciful avenging attributes attributed to God by Christians and Muslims.

I also don't know what to make of Christians saying God loves everyone, yet is going to torture so many people for disbelieving in the bible.

This is not withstanding that people whom disbelieve in religion or God, can be good people. For sake of argument, let's say doing this makes you a bad person.

Should that person be tortured? As human beings should we want such people to be tortured? Or is it an ugly trait to want people to be tortured.

Please no one reply with but God wants to save you, you just have to accept. I'm talking about wanting people whom die as disbelievers to be tortured. Should we want that?

In Islam, it's emphasized God is Most Merciful. But I think human beings in general are more merciful then what has been portrayed of him in both Islam and Christianity.

Although I use to admire the image portrayed by Islam, I think it's a horrific concept of a deity. The same I feel about the Christian concept.

I feel everyone wants to emphasize on the Merciful aspect, like, God is so loving he sent his son to save us from torture. But ignore the flip side of that, why is he torturing people, why does he need to kill his son to save people...they want to emphasize the small speck of beauty of love and compassionate in midst of overwhelming ugliness and brutality.

I don't mean to offend Muslims or Christians, I know from their perception, I'm insulting God...but this is really how I feel...

I worshiped this image of God for most of my life...but I feel I was blinded to how ugly and brutal this image of God really is by a bias I had and other factors in life.

One of things I think that opened my mind was discussing with people that didn't believe in hell.

One of the things is this idea makes you really think bad about disbelievers - that they are so evil and unjust- that they deserve a horrific torture forever.

Doesn't this concept of God feel primitive?
RE: "The Compassionate, the Merciful"?
(February 8, 2012 at 1:25 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Doesn't this concept of God feel primitive?

What do you expect of a 7th century concept?
Which is based on even older more primitive concepts Tongue and the cycle continues!

I agree though mystic. Part of my problem is even if I became a Christian again I would still be, in my mind, damned to Hell, if it wasn't a later interpolation that is. I could not bow nor love a God like the one typically described by Christianity.
Quote:The Surahs in the Quran all begin with "In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful".

Where do you think Goebbels got this observation from?

Quote:“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.

--Joseph Goebbels

(February 8, 2012 at 2:37 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:The Surahs in the Quran all begin with "In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful".

Where do you think Goebbels got this observation from?

Quote:“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.

--Joseph Goebbels

Or where do you think the politburos, the juntas, the 'regimes', or the neocons, got their M.O.s?

Fox is a good practical example.
That's what I've been saying for years. In fact, I brought it up in another thread where one of our resident fundies claimed that God doesn't want to send anyone to hell, which I called bullshit on. Why send people to hell if you don't want to do it? God's all-powerful, so it's not like anyone's forcing him to do it.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
From what I am able to gather, a little band of primates surface-side are forcing his hand. Omnipotence isn't all it's cracked up to be, apparently.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: That's what I've been saying for years. In fact, I brought it up in another thread where one of our resident fundies claimed that God doesn't want to send anyone to hell, which I called bullshit on. Why send people to hell if you don't want to do it? God's all-powerful, so it's not like anyone's forcing him to do it.

No, they usually say something like "God doesnt throw people in Hell...the people chose to throw themselves in hell"

Which is sort of like saying "Hitler didnt order the Jews to be gassed, they gassed themselves for being jews."
(February 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: one of our resident fundies claimed that God doesn't want to send anyone to hell

Shame He's never managed to prove that even once in 2,000 years, with dozens of billions of poor souls to choose from.

In internet lingo that qualifies as a big fat FAIL...! Big Grin
Quote:"Hitler didnt order the Jews to be gassed, they gassed themselves for being jews."

Well...after all...they did walk into the gas chambers!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19363 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Punishing God vs Forbearing/Merciful God Mystic 16 8601 March 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger