Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hand of hope.
Hand of hope.
This blew me away, probably one of the most beautiful and breathtaking images I've ever seen!!

[Image: 417095_249281638485824_100002119688633_5...0367_n.jpg]

"A Hand of Hope"

A picture began circulating in November. It should be "The Picture of the Year," or perhaps, "Picture of the Decade." It won't be. In fact, unless you obtained a copy of the U.S. paper which published it, you probably would never have seen it.

The picture is that of a 21-week-old unborn baby named Samuel Alexander Armas, who is being operated on by surgeon named Joseph Bruner. The baby was diagnosed with spina bifida and would not survive if removed from his mother's womb. Little Samuel's mother, Julie Armas, is an obstetrics nurse in Atlanta. She knew of Dr. Bruner's remarkable surgical procedure. Practicing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, he performs these special operations while the baby is still in the womb.

During the procedure, the doctor removes the uterus via C-section and makes a small incision to operate on the baby. As Dr. Bruner completed the surgery on Samuel, the little guy reached his tiny, but fully developed hand through the incision and firmly grasped the surgeon's finger. Dr. Bruner was reported as saying that when his finger was grasped, it was the most emotional moment of his life, and that for an instant during the procedure he was just frozen, totally immobile.

The photograph captures this amazing event with perfect clarity. The editors titled the picture, "Hand of Hope." The text explaining the picture begins, "The tiny hand of 21-week-old fetus Samuel Alexander Armas emerges from the mother's uterus to grasp the finger of Dr. Joseph Bruner as if thanking the doctor for the gift of life."

Little Samuel's mother said they "wept for days" when they saw the picture. She said, "The photo reminds us pregnancy isn't about disability or an illness, it's about a little person" Samuel was born in perfect health, the operation 100 percent successful. Now see the actual picture, and it is awesome...incredible....and hey, share it! The world needs to see this one!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Hand of hope.
Wow. That is powerful. I think that any time someone starts banging on about the limitations of science, or what good is it, they should be countered with that photo.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I'm surprised pro-lifers haven't been jumping all over this. First time I've seen or heard about this and it's been circulating since November.

But, it does touch my heart. Looks like the little fella has quite a strong grasp. Smile
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
Sheesh, that is an excellent share. Got me a little teary there.

If people need gods to worship, I wonder why they don't choose these kinds of people. I watched a documentary show that featured the docs we have up in Boston. One performed a face transplant on the show. It was amazing. What would be impossible for most of us is all in a days work for these people. All hail good doctors!
http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/thehand.asp

The grasp is fake, though the hand did pop out.
Quote:Just as surgeon Dr. Joseph Bruner was closing the incision in Julie Armas' uterus, Samuel's thumbnail-sized hand flopped out. Bruner lifted it gently and tucked it back in.

That's just as charming though..
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
The doctor himself said he lifted the hand, the boy grasped it and he tucked it back in.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl...fhope3.htm
All kudos to Dr. J. Bruner. Amazing what they can do.

No the pic does not elicit any emotion, but much admiration for the medical staff.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  peace..violin one hand WinterHold 0 322 February 5, 2020 at 3:04 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  John Oliver Returns....New Zealand Dildo in Hand Minimalist 0 529 February 15, 2016 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  ...the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow... Autumnlicious 0 1264 October 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
Big Grin hope the floor is ok bbrettle 3 1334 June 19, 2011 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Kayenneh