Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverse Russell's Paradox
Smile 
Can the set which cannot be contained be contained within the set of all sets that cannot be contained?
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
RE: Reverse Russell's Paradox
You need axioms to escape that one ol'chap, that's why its a mathematical paradox. Soon there will be theists saying the set of all sets that can'nt be contained is god. Don't give them ideas, although paradoxes are very good at driving you nutty. I wonder why Big Grin
Adding to that, I think the problem with russel's paradox, is that is a problem with te mathematical language, kind of an Antinomy of the usual math lingo.

As to ideas on how to solve it, I don't have any, except axions based on reality examples Big Grin
Nothing you said had anything to do with my post. Did you read beyond the title?
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

[Image: normal_boobs.jpg]

The set which should not be contained.

Angel
(February 16, 2012 at 12:16 am)AthiestAtheist Wrote: Can the set which cannot be contained be contained within the set of all sets that cannot be contained?

Yes
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(February 17, 2012 at 4:20 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Yes

But how can it, if the set cannot be contained?

He mentioned it was a paradox.
(February 16, 2012 at 12:16 am)AthiestAtheist Wrote: Can the set which cannot be contained be contained within the set of all sets that cannot be contained?
Sounds like the empty set, amirite?
So these philosophers were all like, "That Kant apply universally!" And then these mathematicians were all like, "Oh yes it Kan!"
(February 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm)Tiberius Wrote: He mentioned it was a paradox.

I'll stick with a pair o' tits.
(February 16, 2012 at 9:44 pm)AthiestAtheist Wrote: Nothing you said had anything to do with my post.

Yes I did, and I though my answer was clear, oh well.

I'll try again, reversing Russel's Paradox its still a paradox. In the mainstream set theory, the Russel's paradox is avoided by use of Axioms, based on our common perceptions. On the other hand you proposed the reversal and didn't said anything worth about it, so what is it that you are saying? Do you even know what a paradox is?

Quote: Did you read beyond the title?

How pedantic! I did read and I did gave my 2 cents about it, not that was a big post or with plenty of content, to be honest your post is vague and I don't see a reason for this post I'm quoting. Are you proposing to me to build a mathematical model on a paradox? Are you mad?

In my final remark, I gave my amateur mathematician's idea on why Russel's paradox happens, i.e. a 'flaw' on the usual math language, like the case of the antimony:
"This sentence is false"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to understand the history behind Russell's Paradox GrandizerII 8 1152 December 21, 2018 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The Paradox of Hilbert's Hotel Vincenzo Vinny G. 5 3377 October 4, 2013 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Cato