Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glad to discover Atheist Forums, but..
Glad to discover Atheist Forums, but..
I wish so much discussion wasn't wasted on religion. I suppose it can't really be avoided. Other than that, it's a great place to come and connect with fellow freethinkers.

I've been an atheist for a year and an agnostic for many years before that. In retrospect, the thing I hate the most about Christianity is that the children have no choice. They are brought up believing that Noah's ark is this magical fairy tale; they are shown illustrations of Adam and Eve naming all the cute vicious animals; they sit through one of the goriest films ever made to induce an emotional connection: it's all preposterous; it's almost indoctrination.

People should be free to believe what they want, what makes sense to them.

Anyway, I guess that's my spill.
"Ohh, I don't know, who am I?" -Dr.Evil
RE: Glad to discover Atheist Forums, but..
Welcome Smile Well-written introduction. If that's your natural writing voice: you could be cool.

If it's not, then putting out the effort is awesome if nothing else Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Without religion, there would be no idiots to talk about Tongue

Welcome Smile
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
Religion is awesome, in its own way. I LOVE learning about mythology. I just don't like it being taught as fact.

But welcome. Smile
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Haha, nice avatar and signature Loading Please Wait.. Took me a minute to figure it out. Btw, I'm 24 from Mississippi and only have one true Atheist friend here. It's brutal, need some intelligent people in my life.
"Ohh, I don't know, who am I?" -Dr.Evil
Welcome to our little madhouse on the .net eseer

Have a good scout around ... you will find many articles that are not religious in nature. Unfortunately being an atheist forum we get a shit load of theists who are desperate to "save us".... try the sciences section... and enjoy your stay here mate
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:I wish so much discussion wasn't wasted on religion.

You and me both especially since these fools have so little to say. They keep showing up here and think that all they have to do is sprinkle jesus dust on the carpet.

They are wrong, of course.

Welcome.
I think Off-Topic is the best forum here... but that might just be me.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(February 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Religion is awesome, in its own way. I LOVE learning about mythology. I just don't like it being taught as fact.

And much more fun, because as atheists we don't feel compelled to believe this stuff. So we can fully admit to (and enjoy) how whacked out it is without being embarrassed or trying to rationalize it, and feel free to devour the mythologies of thousands of cultures without fearing that we will lose our faith. Smile

Mythology strikes a natural chord in us. So do mystical experiences. It's the way humans were wired. We can embrace that without believing them as "fact". It's the best of both worlds, methinks.

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:I wish so much discussion wasn't wasted on religion

Nobody is asking you to spend any time on anything which does not interest you.

I do not allow others to tell me what I should or should not discuss or how I should spend my time.

Welcome to the forum Tiger

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello and Good Night Atheist forums! Violet 22 3061 May 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Hello Forums. Nimbus 20 1849 February 21, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello to Atheist Forums haig 44 5774 February 16, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  New to the Forums RiddledWithFear 24 2998 November 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3442 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello all I am new at the forums blackstar 15 3274 October 21, 2015 at 4:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Glad I found this forum! drfuzzy 25 4284 July 6, 2015 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 2990 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172
  New to the Forums The Incredible Atheist 27 3835 September 12, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New to the atheist forums MusicLovingAtheist 18 3845 September 2, 2014 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Ben Davis