Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:43 pm

Poll: I love beer!
This poll is closed.
Yes
64.00%
16 64.00%
Yes
36.00%
9 36.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The atheistforums.org beer thread.
The atheistforums.org beer thread.
Beer. It's what's for dinner. It's also perennial favorite subject amongst many AF posters. According to some theories of anthropology, it was a driving force in the transition from hunter-gatherer society to civilization, as well as many of the advances in civilization.

This thread is for AF beer lovers for all things beerish. If it's about beer, it's on-topic here. Beers you like, beers you hate, funny beer stories, beer news, home brewing, the impact of beer on civilization, beer jokes, beer trivia, drinking games - it all has a home in this thread.

To kick off this thread, here's a Discovery Channel documentary titled "How Beer Saved The World" for your enjoyment. Have a beer and enjoy.

RE: The atheistforums.org beer thread.
[Image: squires.jpg]

Best to wait till Zen comes home with some of these!! Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
My like beer and probably tried over 100 different ones before going to AA (really)

There are no bad Aussie beers. If there were,it would be what they call "Fosters" overseas. Still better than Singapore's 'Tiger Beer', truly the worst I ever had to endure.

Pretty sure I've had some good American beers,I just can't think of any right now.

The most consistently great beer is in the UK.(I love full ales) The almost- best of the lot is Guinness,but of course that's Irish.

My favourite of all is a Yorkshire drop called 'Old Peculiar' with an alcohol content of about 12%

Worst beer-drinking experience Ghuangzou China; Jing-jiao brand, served at blood temperature, to a group of Aussie blokes. It was not pretty.

DISCLAIMER:The above is the subjective opinion of the author, coloured by the passage of between 12 and 25 years,so is not to be taken authoratively,or indeed,seriously.Tiger
Do they have beer in heaven...or hell?
(February 20, 2012 at 10:37 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote:

Best to wait till Zen comes home with some of these!! Big Grin

Damn - a brand I have never heard of or seen! My favorite beer shop (carries 1200+ varieties) doesn't have it.

I actually prefer red wine but I won't quibble in a pinch.
I don't drink, but I did recently write a story that includes a brewery run by Trappist monks as a big plot point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dxGNLVfybA

Seriously, these monks create what is probably the best beer in the world. Hopefully, they don't give it to the altar boys.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(February 20, 2012 at 11:00 pm)padraic Wrote: My like beer and probably tried over 100 different ones before going to AA (really)

There are no bad Aussie beers. If there were,it would be what they call "Fosters" overseas. Still better than Singapore's 'Tiger Beer', truly the worst I ever had to endure.

There aren't many Aussie beers imported into the US that I am aware of. Many people like Foster's (I have no idea what it's called over there), but it isn't a style I care for much. It's better than the American industrial stuff for sure.

I haven't been fortunate enough to be able to sample many Aussie beers, but I know that per capita Aussies drink plenty of beer, and it's rumored to be good. (Note to self: shop around for some Aussie beer).

Quote:Pretty sure I've had some good American beers,I just can't think of any right now.

Unfortunately, only a very small fraction of U.S. beers are available outside the U.S., and most of those are the big names (none of which are anything to write home about).

All nationalism and jingoism aside, when it comes to variety of craft beers, portions of the U.S. are a beer-lover's paradise. Nearly any style you can think of is brewed here by our many small craft breweries, and we have many other styles that we can call our own. All inspired by the most excellent brewing traditions elsewhere, of course, my point is that we're not content to just emulate - there is a lot of innovation going on here. Post-prohibition brewing in the U.S. resulted in the common swill that most people think of when they think U.S. beer - the craft brewing revolution started in the 1980's and while the swill still outsells the good stuff by a wide margin, good beer is catching up slowly but surely.

Unfortunately, much of the country is still thinking that the piss-flavored fizzwater that the big breweries produce is something that is fit for human consumption. In those areas, if it doesn't come in 18 packs of cans, probably nobody's heard of it. Around here, in most pubs you'll see craft beer taps vastly outnumber the dreck - and I know more than a few pubs that do not, and will not, have Bud, Coors, Miller, etc on tap, in bottles, or cans, period.

The last I heard, there are something like 1700 breweries in the U.S. - the vast majority of which are fairly small. I would guess that there are easily 5,000 and perhaps more than 10,000 varieties of beer commercially produced in the U.S., most regionally or on even smaller scale. Some are only served in the pub where they are produced. While there certainly are some craft breweries producing inferior products, the majority seem to take pride in what they make, with varying levels of success.

Quote:The most consistently great beer is in the UK.(I love full ales) The almost- best of the lot is Guinness,but of course that's Irish.

My favourite of all is a Yorkshire drop called 'Old Peculiar' with an alcohol content of about 12%

Old Peculier is an old favorite of mine. The U.K. as a whole certainly does produce some very fine ales. I'm a hobby home brewer, and many (most?) of my favorite recipes are inspired by U.K. brews. England, Scotland and Ireland all produce some very fine beer.

I'm also partial to many of the beers produced by Germany and Belgium. Though I'm sure they have their own brand(s) of swill, the Belgian products imported into the U.S. that I have tasted has a unique character all it's own.

There's really too many labels for me to pick a favorite - I lean towards ales with a good hop/malt balance and those with more malt character than hop. Around here, IPA is all the rage, the hoppier the better - but find American IPA to be overly hopped so as to overwhelm the malt. I enjoy the German Marzens and Bocks, a wide variety of English ales from mild up to strong ale, and I particularly enjoy Porter - mostly the UK style, though there are many US-style Porters that are very excellent as well (though, frankly, many of those are closer to the UK- than US- style). For situations that demand a moderate, very drinkable session beer, I like the more complex pale ales - Mirror Pond from Deschutes is one of my favorites, though it is not sold everywhere - the brewery is fairly local to me. Their Black Butte Porter is very excellent, on par with many of the good UK porters, IMO.

If you happen to see any beer made by Rogue, Widmer, Bridgeport, MacTarnahan's, or Deschutes - those are our (reasonably) local beers that are fairly widely distributed. Most are very good to excellent.
(February 21, 2012 at 12:10 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: Seriously, these monks create what is probably the best beer in the world. Hopefully, they don't give it to the altar boys.

They do at that, and are good enough to sell it to the rest of us. Each monastery produces it's own style(s), so there's no one style of "Trappist" beer. It's all good, and most of it is quite expensive - a 750ml bottle of Chimay is US $10.00-$12.00, and worth it.

As far as I know, they don't boink the altar boys either - I'm not sure that they even have altar boys.
There's actually a story behind why American beer sucks so bad. To quote TVTropes:

most breweries went out of business during Prohibition, as you would expect. Those that survived did so by brewing beer, removing the alcohol, then selling the resulting product. To keep costs down, they made these beverages with adjuncts, mainly corn and rice(these are cheaper than barley). When Prohibition was repealed, the recipes for near-beer became the recipes for real beer, adjuncts and all. Since they were cheaper to brew than a normal beer, the breweries using the adjunct recipes came to dominate the American beer scene.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(February 20, 2012 at 11:14 pm)Forsaken Wrote: Do they have beer in heaven...or hell?

If they don't in heaven - I wouldn't want any part of it.

In hell, they certainly have beer. The downside is, it's all piss-warm Coors Light.

(February 21, 2012 at 12:27 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: There's actually a story behind why American beer sucks so bad. To quote TVTropes:

most breweries went out of business during Prohibition, as you would expect. Those that survived did so by brewing beer, removing the alcohol, then selling the resulting product. To keep costs down, they made these beverages with adjuncts, mainly corn and rice(these are cheaper than barley). When Prohibition was repealed, the recipes for near-beer became the recipes for real beer, adjuncts and all. Since they were cheaper to brew than a normal beer, the breweries using the adjunct recipes came to dominate the American beer scene.

That is also my understanding. Prior to prohibition, there was much variety in U.S. beer. That died with prohibition and the widespread use of non-barley based adjuncts. Ever wonder why the biggest beer brands in the U.S. have so little flavor compared to European and craft brewed U.S. brands? The former use lots of rice and corn in the mash and by comparison little barley malt, whereas the latter uses 100%, or nearly 100% barley malt with the exception of some styles that call for wheat instead. Corn and rice impart little to nothing in the way of flavor, the flavor comes from the malt and the hops. There's dozens of different kinds of malts, and while a large percentage of beers in the world are primarily based on what's known as "two-row malt" (which has little flavor), the post-prohibition brewers used very little of the specialty malts that give beer character and flavor (likely because little was available at the time).

Some of the the larger breweries also were able to make money by producing malt extract for "baking" - in reality, it was used for home brewed hooch.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-Alcoholic Beer Foxaèr 48 2482 June 13, 2021 at 5:30 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] The American beer thread Jackalope 10 874 September 30, 2019 at 9:39 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4119 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Star Trek Fans on AF.org vulcanlogician 66 4545 March 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Atheistforums.org sucks... FirstPoet 20 2652 December 24, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Evidence of Cultural Decline in Europe - Beer Yoga Neo-Scholastic 4 613 April 26, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Tongue AF.org Q&A Tag! SteelCurtain 48 8605 February 22, 2017 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Help with petition on change.org purplepurpose 8 1480 August 5, 2016 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Fun Times in #atheistforums Tiberius 233 86457 October 6, 2015 at 3:25 am
Last Post: Violet
  How much pre-joining lurking did you do before you joined AF.org? Whateverist 35 4086 August 30, 2015 at 9:19 am
Last Post: AFTT47