Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letting Go of God
Letting Go of God
I can soo relate to Julia Sweeney. Big Grin She's really funny, she's explained some of the things she went through that I also went through--religious belief-wise, anyways--and I really like her.
It got me thinking, after listening to her speech about how she came to be an atheist. She even mentioned pantheism, and her throwing that out the window, so to speak, explained alot to me.

You see, I'm a "new" atheist. I'd like to say I'm alot like Julia, and I'm kinda still in the process of 'letting go'. I have such a hold on religious faith, and belief, and it's just so hard for me to let it all go! I'm done with Christianity--that god's an asshole!--but what I'm not done with is all the paganism, the Wicca. It's fun! I like the "whee, nature!~" and "whee, magic!~" and sometimes I wonder if I'm even up for atheism. Maybe I'm a little too "out there" to really be a logical, rational individul? And when I try to read up on rationality, or what have you, I get BORED. I want it to be exciting, not so dry and flippant, and just blah, blah blah, blah BLAH. e_e
I want to be a better person, a better student, a better human being. How can I do all this when I'm so damn wrapped up in (myslef) and new age bs?
Any advice?

EDIT: Okay, so I looked this thing up, and I came accross "magical thinking". >_< DAMMIT.
I have a magical thinking 'disorder'--so much to an extent that I really think it screws with my life. What is the cure for this?
RE: Letting Go of God
I listened to an audio sample of that and yeah, she was funny and "spot on".

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(May 13, 2009 at 5:53 pm)obsessed_philosopher Wrote: I can soo relate to Julia Sweeney. Big Grin She's really funny, she's explained some of the things she went through that I also went through--religious belief-wise, anyways--and I really like her.
It got me thinking, after listening to her speech about how she came to be an atheist. She even mentioned pantheism, and her throwing that out the window, so to speak, explained alot to me.

You see, I'm a "new" atheist. I'd like to say I'm alot like Julia, and I'm kinda still in the process of 'letting go'. I have such a hold on religious faith, and belief, and it's just so hard for me to let it all go! I'm done with Christianity--that god's an asshole!--but what I'm not done with is all the paganism, the Wicca. It's fun! I like the "whee, nature!~" and "whee, magic!~" and sometimes I wonder if I'm even up for atheism. Maybe I'm a little too "out there" to really be a logical, rational individul? And when I try to read up on rationality, or what have you, I get BORED. I want it to be exciting, not so dry and flippant, and just blah, blah blah, blah BLAH. e_e
I want to be a better person, a better student, a better human being. How can I do all this when I'm so damn wrapped up in (myslef) and new age bs?
Any advice?

EDIT: Okay, so I looked this thing up, and I came accross "magical thinking". >_< DAMMIT.
I have a magical thinking 'disorder'--so much to an extent that I really think it screws with my life. What is the cure for this?

Did you read The God delusion? Richard Dawkins is so to say our most preeminent Guru.His book is partly real thrilling but has also boring chapters.His open debates are more interesting.
In principle you are right we are still awaiting for a atheist genius who will be able to write the "Bible" of atheism.
The bible of atheisim would contain a few hundred blank pages and no instructions. Interpret how you wish.

Heres the thing mate, don't beleive in a god and you are an atheist. However some atheists beleive in other supernatural things, some beleive in psychic powers (I myself use a bit of irrational faith and hold hope that science will someday unlock greater powers of the mind, even if they aren't like hollywood psychics. I just wanna use 100% of my brain power at once.), some beleive in a natural form of karma, that the universe itself guides itself into balance. Some could even belaive in magic; I can't say I've met one but, theres no rule.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
(May 23, 2009 at 11:58 am)josef rosenkranz Wrote: In principle you are right we are still awaiting for a atheist genius who will be able to write the "Bible" of atheism.

Why would anyone try? Atheism isn't a philosophy.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
The Atheist Bible complete and unabridged.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(May 24, 2009 at 12:54 am)Dotard Wrote: The Atheist Bible complete and unabridged.

Perfect!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
LOL

EvF
Haha, great one Dotard!Big Grin
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.
(May 23, 2009 at 6:05 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(May 23, 2009 at 11:58 am)josef rosenkranz Wrote: In principle you are right we are still awaiting for a atheist genius who will be able to write the "Bible" of atheism.

Why would anyone try? Atheism isn't a philosophy.

Kyu

Atheism is most definitely a phylosophy with it's philosophers ,writers ,politicians,scientists and most of all it's people who see in it's principles a part of their spiritual life.
Atheists are not only academic debaters who speak from the height of the cathedra against believers in God.
By expressing their views within circles of friends,family or community ,atheists are a sort of propagandists not far in principle from propagators of all kind of philosophic ideas.
The very existence of this forum as well of other forums of that kind in many countries demonstrate the wide spread ideas of atheism.
Let's not forget that atheism is official politics in China ,Cuba and was as such in the former communist world.
I don't see any reason of denying the possibility of appearance in the future of an atheistic book comprising philosophic,moral ,social ideas as guide for atheists.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fear of letting go? SlowCalculations 18 2019 June 3, 2019 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
Video Julia Sweeney - Letting Go Of God (VIDEO) Woody68 1 1398 April 30, 2013 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  "Letting Go of God" everythingafter 3 2102 April 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye