Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a tree be murdered?
Can a tree be murdered?
Miami Herald: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/28/26...k=misearch

Quote:Charges in burning of 3,500-year-old Fla tree

LONGWOOD, Fla. -- Authorities say a central Florida woman is in jail, charged with setting a fire that burned one of the world's oldest cypress trees.

Investigators say two witnesses identified 26-year-old Sara Barnes as the person who caused the 118-foot-tall bald cypress tree named "The Senator" to burn and collapse Jan. 16.

The Seminole County parks department says ring samples showed the tree was roughly 3,500 years old.

The Orlando Sentinel ( http://thesent.nl/yidEHC) reports that Barnes also took photos of the fire with her cellphone. The Office of Agricultural Law Enforcement searched Barnes' Winter Park home Tuesday and confiscated her cellphone and laptop. Authorities also reported finding methamphetamine, scales and drug paraphernalia. Barnes told investigators she set the fire while trying to use illegal drugs.

If people get jailed, fined, or even executed for abusing and/or killing other people, or animals, then why not for abusing and/or killing trees and other flora too? Those are also living organisms, are they not?
RE: Can a tree be murdered?
She should be shot. But I'm biased.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
You have to be fucking kidding me.....she burnt down The Senator...Facepalm

(or burnt, eh Summer...i jest, i jest. I say they put up a plaque with her name on it and a description of the events that occurred, right where the tree stood, something sturdy that will be there long after she's gone.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
A tree was murdered by Jesus because it was following the law his daddy made (only bear fruit in season). Because he was hungry and had some powerfully bad halitosis (breath so bad it could kill a horse) he spoke to the tree, breathed his stinky halitosis on it, and watched it wither and die.
(March 1, 2012 at 11:16 am)Rhythm Wrote: You have to be fucking kidding me.....she burnt down The Senator...Facepalm

(or burnt, eh Summer...i jest, i jest. I say they put up a plaque with her name on it and a description of the events that occurred, right where the tree stood, something sturdy that will be there long after she's gone.)

I like that Rhythm ... something that'll last 3500 years.
[Image: Evolution.png]

That tree was older than Jesus. Fire is too good for her.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
In cases like that, a 3500 year old tree, certainly warrants harsh punishment, it can never be called murder.

Murder has a lot of definitions, but once you start defining murder as killing anything with living cells, it starts getting absurd.

It has to have at least sentience in my opinion to be reliably called murder.

Still unbelievably disgusting and I hope the penalty is severe all the same.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYOG2TYJq31ZqchbTgcEz...1SJQ1SXyKA]
"No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever"

(Somebody who's good with photoshop wanna make me a demotivational...lol?)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 1, 2012 at 11:16 am)Rhythm Wrote: something sturdy that will be there long after she's gone.

Sturdier than a 3,500 year old tree? What would you suggest, aside from a Gizeh-like pyramid?
Solid concrete, short and wide with an anvil shaped foundation buried into the sand about 4 times larger below ground than above, no metal re-enforcement, deep wide lettering with little flourish, dusted with a liberal amount of quartz. It doesn't have to last longer than the tree, just longer than her.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some sort of tree disease? Exian 2 2128 November 7, 2014 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: Exian