Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stormy Weather
Stormy Weather
The storms we were expecting by noon today decided to piss off the weather forecasters by arriving early (6 hours early). I captured some lightning on video. Here is a frame of some cool lightning from that video.

[Image: lightning_03_02_2012.jpg]

Enjoy it while you can. With the really nasty weather expected this afternoon/evening, I may end up in Oz by tonight. Confusedhock:
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Stormy Weather
Yeah, people are making emergency plans where I'm at, some businesses decided not to open. Spring always rings itself in with a massive display here.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 2, 2012 at 8:57 am)orogenicman Wrote: Enjoy it while you can. With the really nasty weather expected this afternoon/evening, I may end up in Oz by tonight. Confusedhock:

Hey, you can crash at our place.

See what I did thereBig Grin
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Bit late mate... East Coast Australia is 75% under flood...storms and heavy torrential rain has been experienced for the last 5 days and into the weekend with most major dams reaching full capacity and spill over this weekend for the first time in about 15 years...global warming my arse.. SNAFU! Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 2, 2012 at 8:59 am)Rhythm Wrote: Yeah, people are making emergency plans where I'm at, some businesses decided not to open. Spring always rings itself in with a massive display here.

Same here. The forecasters were expecting the first round of storms to build in around noon, but mother nature had different plans. This one was pretty strong, but wasn't particularly fierce. That said, more storms are building to the south and west of Louisville; for it to happen this early in the day indicates that there is a whole lot of instability in the atmosphere, and so the expected tornadic outbreak looks to be pretty severe this afternoon. We had tornadoes earlier this week, but this building storm looks to be much worse. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
(March 2, 2012 at 9:06 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Bit late mate... East Coast Australia is 75% under flood...storms and heavy torrential rain has been experienced for the last 5 days and into the weekend with most major dams reaching full capacity and spill over this weekend for the first time in about 15 years...global warming my arse.. SNAFU! Big Grin

What can I say to that but ouch. This is a very early tornado season for us, and looks to get worse as Spring arrives. I'm already looking for a dry cave to move into. lol

Uh-oh. I hear more thunder a rumblin'. Gotta go.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
I will say this, as a recent transplant from Florida, the chicken little atmosphere that people in this state get whenever the wind blows is more than a little bit amusing (though I obviously appreciate the severity of the predictions). Where I come from, a severe storm is a reason for a business to open early and never close. Hurricane party anyone?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 2, 2012 at 9:12 am)orogenicman Wrote:
(March 2, 2012 at 9:06 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Bit late mate... East Coast Australia is 75% under flood...storms and heavy torrential rain has been experienced for the last 5 days and into the weekend with most major dams reaching full capacity and spill over this weekend for the first time in about 15 years...global warming my arse.. SNAFU! Big Grin

What can I say to that but ouch. This is a very early tornado season for us, and looks to get worse as Spring arrives. I'm already looking for a dry cave to move into. lol

Uh-oh. I hear more thunder a rumblin'. Gotta go.

Not necessarily ouch... standard cyclic weather patterns for us here Down under mate...if ya ain't' frying in the heat and fires you are drowning in the floods and torrential rain / storms/ Cyclones...meh Mother Nature at her best! Always said..Australia...beautiful one day ...trying to kill you the next!

Cycles are 50, 20, 11, 8, 2 years. varying degrees of intensity but this one is from about 50 years ago although Weather bureau says only 15 years ago....pretty close really. Nothing to do with global warming or climate change... just El Niño/La Niña-Southern Oscillation, or ENSO
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B...scillation

Stay safe there buddy...we do have the plans for the ark!! Should you need them of course! Tongue
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Plans, I don't need plans, we have arks laying all over the place in Kentucky, apparently (relative to the amount of arks to be found anywhere else).
Hehe I thought so Rhythm...but hey...the offer is still good if those xtian fucktards won't let you on-board Thumb up stay safe there mate Heart
Well, it's not like I'd politely ask them if I could come play on the deck of their party boat with my brood under my arms. Wink Shades

Hopefully we get some winds, some hail, little property damage and no loss of life. It's a shame too, because it's gorgeous outside right now. Blue skies, birds singing. Something about the calm before the storm is probably in order.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jon Stewart Skewers Weather/News Shows Minimalist 4 1337 January 28, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist