Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another atheist here
Another atheist here
I'm an atheist but I don't share the resentment that so many "online atheists" have towards theists, or the utter arrogance and self righteousness that so many of them display. Each to their own, I say. Atheists, like theists, come in all shapes and sizes. I hope some of you, perhaps most of you, understand where I'm coming from.
RE: Another atheist here
(March 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm)Werewolff Wrote: I'm an atheist but I don't share the resentment that so many "online atheists" have towards theists, or the utter arrogance and self righteousness that so many of them display. Each to their own, I say. Atheists, like theists, come in all shapes and sizes. I hope some of you, perhaps most of you, understand where I'm coming from.

Fair play I guess. Nice to meet you.
Welcome. I don't harbor resentment either, but I think whether you do or don't has a lot to do with whether your parents were super fundamental or your exposure to fundamentalism in general. My parents were extremely liberal, and I don't live in the bible belt. I can't say that if those things weren't true I would not harbor resentment either.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
The best policy is to just not have any resentment at all, no matter what your background. Life's too short as it is and we all have to live together, and I actually like it that there are people who believe in all sorts of interesting stuff while others don't. I wouldn't have it any other way.
(March 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm)Werewolff Wrote: The best policy is to just not have any resentment at all, no matter what your background. Life's too short as it is and we all have to live together, and I actually like it that there are people who believe in all sorts of interesting stuff while others don't. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't have a problem with the individuals in religions but more the religions themselves. It does a lot of harm.

But I do get where your coming from Tongue
(March 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm)Werewolff Wrote: I'm an atheist but I don't share the resentment that so many "online atheists" have towards theists, or the utter arrogance and self righteousness that so many of them display. Each to their own, I say. Atheists, like theists, come in all shapes and sizes. I hope some of you, perhaps most of you, understand where I'm coming from.

Wait till some of our resident morons start carrying on about their particular jesus/allah delusions.

They get old in a hurry.

Hello, there.
I'm no stranger to hearing the views of religious people, and I don't think they're morons. My wife is quite religious and she talks about her beliefs to me all the time. Sometimes she goes on and on. I like it. I like to know what she thinks.
Hi Werewolff,

Welcome to the forum. Most people recognise that Atheist does not equate to Anti-Theist.

I would consider myself a weak anti-theist in that I don't go out of my way to abuse peoples beliefs. But if someone wishes to shove theirs in mine, I withhold my right to point out the flaws and fallacies in what they propose.

I think there is a difference between the "keyboard cowboy" atheist whom is spouting quotes and arguments obtained from google and those that consider the point actually being made and constructing counter-arguments based upon their own reason using information they are aware of and can research instead of blindly quoting verbatim.

That kind of keyboard cowboy atheist ticks me off, since its little better than quote mining the bible to prove a personal conviction.

While I'm on the matter. Not every atheist has a PhD in quantum mechanics. JUST STOP PRETENDING YOU UNDERSTAND QUANTUM MECHANICS.

An atheist who pretends they have all the answers, and can't simply say "I Don't Know" deserves a beating for their self-righteous and ignorant bleeting.

Um... I may have repressed some rage I was previously unaware of.. I'm going to lie down now.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Welcome. I only resent when the idiots come here to try to convert everyone to their particular brand of superstition. Well, that, and when they try to force religion into our government.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I think I agree with pretty much everything you've said, NMFaith. The only exception is that if a religious person comes up to me and starts talking about their beliefs, I don't really argue with them. I say good luck. I can't think of anything I could possibly gain from having a debate and trying to convince them that my view is right. If it's a friend or acquaintance and they want a friendly debate that's a different matter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Hello there! Fellow atheist here! ThinkingIsThinking 48 5009 December 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hi, I'm not new but here is another side to me. Whateverist 12 2244 May 2, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Black Female Atheist Here In_Front_of_The_Veil 45 4874 March 6, 2017 at 11:14 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  New Atheist here! AceBoogie 10 1603 October 31, 2016 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Another noobie here :) LadyForCamus 27 3479 December 9, 2015 at 11:44 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Weak atheist/deist here, hello! vixene 59 9218 August 11, 2015 at 9:32 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  An atheist to the bone from another country rado84 52 4705 July 3, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Long time Atheist, new member here! AceBoogie 17 4446 March 13, 2015 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Bad Wolf
  atheist here HurricaneKatrina 28 5391 October 17, 2014 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Hi new atheist here ! Leo34 10 2027 May 7, 2014 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Aractus