Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaw Dropping Moon Mosaic
Jaw Dropping Moon Mosaic
Phil Plait's blog rocks my socks.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badast...on-mosaic/

The link is in the post, but here it is anyway - click it for a HUGELY detailed photo of the moon.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7057/68174...a781_o.jpg
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Jaw Dropping Moon Mosaic
This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing Smile
Hey, even at 3890 X 4650 pixels, the resolution of this photo is still at best about 0.5 mile per pixel. That means there could still be all sorts of alien pyramids on the moon but none of them would show up! Big Grin
I love you, Chuck.
Now I'll be lucking for Chuck's pyramids all night...

(Possibly a lie... Tongue )
(March 9, 2012 at 11:35 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Phil Plait's blog rocks my socks.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badast...on-mosaic/

The link is in the post, but here it is anyway - click it for a HUGELY detailed photo of the moon.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7057/68174...a781_o.jpg

That is a great picture. I checked out the camera he used, and am salivating. I want one. It's a great camera for planetary work. Anyone here want to buy me one? Angel Cloud

It's only $390, which is cheap as astronomical cameras go.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
That's cheaper than the DSLR's I want!

"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 10, 2012 at 5:15 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: That's cheaper than the DSLR's I want!

It's cheaper than most DSLRs. But it is monocrhome, and is intended for astrophotography. It has no infrared cut filter, and so it probably wouldn't be very good as a "domestic" video camera.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
I'm just sayin' your habits are less expensive than mine. Go figure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Super" Moon tonight! Jehanne 6 1002 December 4, 2017 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Sterben
  So, What planet/moon is this ? vorlon13 42 5923 November 26, 2017 at 9:35 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Pan; a weirder moon of Saturn vorlon13 17 2192 March 26, 2017 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The moon's formation GUBU 41 6167 January 13, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Prometheus, a moon of Saturn vorlon13 16 2859 January 26, 2016 at 6:12 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Global ocean discovered on Saturn moon Cyberman 24 5223 September 17, 2015 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Evidence of how our Moon formed... found? Welsh cake 16 5115 July 6, 2014 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  If the moon were only 1 pixel... Darth 1 956 March 8, 2014 at 7:39 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  NASA Wants to Give Our Moon a Moon thesummerqueen 14 6500 January 4, 2013 at 1:07 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Grail Probes to crash into the moon in about an hour popeyespappy 10 3339 December 18, 2012 at 3:47 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko