Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hi All,

Checking in from the Home of the Good Life, the land of Flat Water, Husker Nation, or whatever else you want to call the great state of Nebraska Big Grin

I'm an atheist in the strict sense of the word: I don't believe in god. As I'm sure is true for most of you, I get really tired of theists not understanding the word atheism and assuming that I proclaim with 100% certainty that god doesn't exist. As a result, I often identify myself as an Agnostic Atheist.

I stumbled across this forum while reading up on topics that have come up in a thread titled "Do you believe in God?" on a site called GTPlanet, a fansite for the Gran Turismo video games. This thread has gone on for quite some time, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed taking part in the debate. (BTW, there is a guy posting in that thread with the same username that I've used for this site, it's not me).

Anyways, my favorite answer to a lot of the tough questions that come up in such debates is "I don't know." I say it a lot, because even though I'm a fairly intelligent and logical person, there is a lot that I don't know. Filling in the gaps of my knowledge with "god did it" is something I used to do. Thankfully, I no longer find that acceptable.

I hope that this site contains a lot of intense and meaningful debate, but I hope that it does so without hate or malice. I'm frankly turned off by atheists who automatically view theists as stupid, ignorant, arrogant, etc. As I said, I used to be Christian, and I don't think I was stupid, I just hadn't had a chance to learn and mature yet. I like to give other people the benefit of the doubt that they, too, are on a personal journey that will one day lead to truth. Anyways, enough rambling.

Hello everyone!
RE: Hello
Quote:Anyways, my favorite answer to a lot of the tough questions that come up in such debates is "I don't know."

Yeah - the jesus freaks don't know, either. They just make shit up.

Nice to meet you.
Welcome.
Cunt
Welcome. Are you the same NSC that does the YouTube videos by the same name?

Welcome either way.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Welcome aboard.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Welcome. Are you the same NSC that does the YouTube videos by the same name?

Welcome either way.

I am not. That is the inspiration behind the name though!
(March 12, 2012 at 2:37 pm)NonStampCollector Wrote: Hi All,

Checking in from the Home of the Good Life,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju99ADTHIl4

"I was having a high time, living the good life!"

I've loved the Dead since the 70's.

Welcome to the site.
(March 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Anyways, my favorite answer to a lot of the tough questions that come up in such debates is "I don't know."

Yeah - the jesus freaks don't know, either. They just make shit up.

Nice to meet you.

Hell yes they do know http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZgJLJk4_8A

Oh, I'm going to catch shit for that one. Hee hee, ROFLOL
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome, and shameless bump. I mean, you're a new guy who's brave enough to let us hear his voice... rare is your breed. Most recognized you should be.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5989 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3646 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates