Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics
The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics
I wasn't sure where to stick this one, as it involves both religion and science (gasps), but anyway, here it is:

I used to really wish that I could practice Buddhism, and I did try, but I am not very self-disciplined, and it just didn't work out. I do admire Buddhists, especially the Dalai Lama. I follow him on facebook, and I am always astounded by his words of wisdom.

Who knew the Dalai Lama was so progressive? I really didn't until recently. I found this long, but extremely interesting talk between the Dalai Lama and Anton Zeilinger about Quantum Physics, of all things. I just had to share it! This is the first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjd26JSaq64

[Image: dPGA8.jpg]

RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics
Progressively interested in perpetuating his little spiritual ponzi scheme, sure. "If"......ROFLOL Well, Mr. Lama, that moment has already passed quite some time ago. Why would it suprise you that a holy man is interested in QM, everyone else peddling woo is "interested" in QM. It's all the rage on the new age book shelf (has been for as long as there has been QM).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I never trust a man in silly suits Big Grin

here's another one:
[Image: 170px-BentoXVI-29-10052007.jpg]
Buddhism still teaches that Siddhartha Gautama was born of an immaculate conception doesn't it?
Buddhism still teaches that Siddhartha Gautama walked and spoke immediately upon being born doesn't it?
Buddhism still teaches that Siddhartha Gautama steps as an infant made Lotus flowers bloom doesn't it?
Buddhism still teaches that Siddhartha Gautama produced flames from his upper body and water from his lower body (twin miracle) doesn't it?
Buddhism still teaches that Siddhartha Gautama walked on water, flew through space, made himself a giant, made himself tiny and walked through mountains doesn't it?

Change my hairy ass. The Dalai Lama is full of shit.
(March 14, 2012 at 9:16 am)Phil Wrote: Buddhism still teaches that Siddhartha Gautama was born of an immaculate conception doesn't it?
Buddhism still teaches that Siddhartha Gautama walked and spoke immediately upon being born doesn't it?
Buddhism still teaches that Siddhartha Gautama steps as an infant made Lotus flowers bloom doesn't it?
Buddhism still teaches that Siddhartha Gautama produced flames from his upper body and water from his lower body (twin miracle) doesn't it?
Buddhism still teaches that Siddhartha Gautama walked on water, flew through space, made himself a giant, made himself tiny and walked through mountains doesn't it?

Change my hairy ass. The Dalai Lama is full of shit.

Does it? I've never heard any Buddhist claim that.
Because they've made it their habit to peddle different brands of woo depending on where you are. The west gets "Buddhism Light", which is to say, different sorts of garbage that western audiences respond well too, it's own laundry list of hilarious claims...and still..light on any facts or actual knowledge. Pretty words and platitudes plus the supernatural. Very progressive man, that Dalai Lama
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm not saying that some of the claims aren't outlandish. Notice he said that IF science proves some Buddhist belief WRONG, then Buddhism will have to change. How can science prove that Siddhartha Gautama didn't do all that stuff? If it could, we could disprove all things supernatural, and the world would be a better place for it, IMO.

If you watched any of the videos, you would notice that the Dalai Lama keeps interrupting to say that something that was just explained to them didn't align with their beliefs. He didn't say he would change the belief. Maybe they will, but I doubt it.

I enjoy hearing from the Dalai Lama because at least he's not condemning anybody. He makes some good points on morality. If all the Christians, Muslims and Jews up and decided today that they were going to trade their beliefs in for Buddhism, I wouldn't be broken up about it. I'd trade the Abrahamic religions for Eastern ones in a heartbeat if the options were that or no trade at all.

IF science proves one Buddhist belief correct, I will have to change.

IF the old guy is so fucking progressive, one would hope he had grasped the notion of the burden of proof. Wink Shades
(March 14, 2012 at 6:17 pm)aleialoura Wrote: If all the Christians, Muslims and Jews up and decided today that they were going to trade their beliefs in for Buddhism, I wouldn't be broken up about it. I'd trade the Abrahamic religions for Eastern ones in a heartbeat if the options were that or no trade at all.

Others have made the mistake of thinking that buddhism doesn't have it's own bloody history. You are merely unfamiliar with it (which has been it's major source of appeal to the west since it's introduction to the same).
(March 14, 2012 at 6:20 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(March 14, 2012 at 6:17 pm)aleialoura Wrote: If all the Christians, Muslims and Jews up and decided today that they were going to trade their beliefs in for Buddhism, I wouldn't be broken up about it. I'd trade the Abrahamic religions for Eastern ones in a heartbeat if the options were that or no trade at all.

Others have made the mistake of thinking that buddhism doesn't have it's own bloody history. You are merely unfamiliar with it (which has been it's major source of appeal to the west since it's introduction to the same).

Years ago I read a book about the Buddhists bloody takeover of Tibet. I don't think any widespread religion still alive today got there by being bearers of "the truth".

Here's something I've pondered, and Rhythm, I would like to hear your opinion on this:

Did the people who contrived/authored the gospels plagiarize the moral teachings of Jesus from Eastern religions, such as Buddhism? I have heard it said, and I have noticed a few coincidental things about it, as well. Just wondering if anyone had any hard facts about it, or if it's just speculation.

Also, the Buddhists do have a bloody history, but for the last few centuries they've been pretty docile, at least in comparison. My studies into Buddhism have given me the impression, that while many other religions are so worried about every one's salvation but their own, the Buddhists seem to focus more on their own lives. I wish that was more widespread.