Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 10:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attacked in student paper for my atheistic views
Attacked in student paper for my atheistic views
A few weeks ago, my friend wrote a column about science and religion, asking why so many people reject scientific evidence to cling to their beliefs. As an opioned atheist, she sent me an email to get my thoughts on a study that suggested religious people have lower blood pressure, and asked I believed the cause was because religion was comforting/less stressful. I said that yes, it can be comforting and that could be why some are reluctant to release their views and face a reality where we may not have a special plan for us etc - Something that I felt when realising my own atheism. I was worried about this given the recent anti-antitheist sentiment at my college.

The backlash came in the form of a scathing article deconstructing my comments as 'derogatory' and 'degrading' religion to that of a 'mere comfort'. I am so shocked and upset by this. My comments were answering the question of whether religion can be comforting, and there was no derogatory language, no attack, no negative connotation. I'm a moderate atheist in the sense that whilst I have strong opinions, I still believe in freedom of religion and don't like it when atheists attack/ridicule theists, cos it makes us all seem like total intolerant douchebags.

I don't know what to do - should I write a piece defending my comments? Should I email the writer myself? I just can't believe the editor of the paper allowed an article that was such a personal attack on me to go to print.
RE: Attacked in student paper for my atheistic views
(March 14, 2012 at 7:44 am)Candles Wrote: A few weeks ago, my friend wrote a column about science and religion, asking why so many people reject scientific evidence to cling to their beliefs. As an opioned atheist, she sent me an email to get my thoughts on a study that suggested religious people have lower blood pressure, and asked I believed the cause was because religion was comforting/less stressful. I said that yes, it can be comforting and that could be why some are reluctant to release their views and face a reality where we may not have a special plan for us etc - Something that I felt when realising my own atheism. I was worried about this given the recent anti-antitheist sentiment at my college.

The backlash came in the form of a scathing article deconstructing my comments as 'derogatory' and 'degrading' religion to that of a 'mere comfort'. I am so shocked and upset by this. My comments were answering the question of whether religion can be comforting, and there was no derogatory language, no attack, no negative connotation. I'm a moderate atheist in the sense that whilst I have strong opinions, I still believe in freedom of religion and don't like it when atheists attack/ridicule theists, cos it makes us all seem like total intolerant douchebags.

I don't know what to do - should I write a piece defending my comments? Should I email the writer myself? I just can't believe the editor of the paper allowed an article that was such a personal attack on me to go to print.

Post your comments and the other article here and then link the author to these replies. We'll show him what being 'degrading' and 'derogatory' to religion actually means.
It's hard to not "offend" their sensibilities when the very fact that you openly express that you simply don't believe something is enough to earn their hatred.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I would do just what genkaus suggested. If people want the mixed and wide ranging views about that article and religion in general, let 'em come here.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
If you ever see the writer eating a piece of fruit then you should get someone to distract him while you inject the fruit with strychnine...
Cunt
You're so deliciously morbid, frankie my love.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Hello Candles...nice to meet you

(March 14, 2012 at 7:44 am)Candles Wrote: The backlash came in the form of a scathing article deconstructing my comments as 'derogatory' and 'degrading' religion to that of a 'mere comfort'. I am so shocked and upset by this. My comments were answering the question of whether religion can be comforting, and there was no derogatory language, no attack, no negative connotation. I'm a moderate atheist in the sense that whilst I have strong opinions, I still believe in freedom of religion and don't like it when atheists attack/ridicule theists, cos it makes us all seem like total intolerant douchebags.

A typical ploy by a two year old mind in my opinion..... rest assured you have the right of reply ....then this issue will end up as a debate rather than some 'douchebag' calling you a 'douchebag'

(March 14, 2012 at 7:44 am)Candles Wrote: I don't know what to do - should I write a piece defending my comments? Should I email the writer myself? I just can't believe the editor of the paper allowed an article that was such a personal attack on me to go to print.

So write your reply already!!

Articulate that the personal attack on you in no way makes the FACT that many religious persons find comfort in the ritual and mindlessness of their chosen belief system and less valid.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I would sit down and talk with these people about your greivances, and when it's going well, just nonchalantly pull out a baby burrito and start muching on it in front of everyone.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 14, 2012 at 9:17 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: You're so deliciously morbid, frankie my love.

Cheers.
Cunt
I'm a bit confused. Did your friend write the nasty comments or someone else in response to his/her article?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My views on God and religion ShinyCrystals 72 4277 October 30, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Your personal views on the Afterlife Mystic Monkey 31 18690 May 12, 2023 at 10:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Lightbulb Grad student seeking atheist to interview brookelauren25 97 6434 February 21, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15056 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Atheistic calendar Interaktive 38 3453 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3945 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 9644 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2611 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6745 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  The second most atheistic group in the world is... Gawdzilla Sama 15 3565 December 2, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13