Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There Is No God
There Is No God
Here is some interesting food for thought for our current influx of fundamentalists.

1 John 4:8

God is love

1 Corinthians 13:4

Love is not jealous

Exodus 20:4-5

I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God

Bible says there is no god, film at 11.

I feel like the atheist Ray Comfort so I will say checkmate Christians Big Grin
RE: There Is No God
Just to play devils advocate.

The full phrase is Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. (depending on the translation).

Indicating God is supposedly present in the concept of Love rather than God is loving himself.

Love is not Jealous, which means if you are Jealous you are not in Love, and God is therefore not present.

" for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,"

What we actually prove, is not so much the nonexistence of God, given the exemption of the first part of God is Love, but you do prove that God does NOT love anyone. He is the function of Love, but incapable of it himself.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(March 18, 2012 at 6:41 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Just to play devils advocate.

The full phrase is Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. (depending on the translation).

Indicating God is supposedly present in the concept of Love rather than God is loving himself.

Love is not Jealous, which means if you are Jealous you are not in Love, and God is therefore not present.

" for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,"

What we actually prove, is not so much the nonexistence of God, given the exemption of the first part of God is Love, but you do prove that God does NOT love you.

Then I will tell you as I will tell them, stop making the asinine claim that god is love. In any event, if they can't deal with their own book being used against them, fuck em.
(March 18, 2012 at 6:42 am)Phil Wrote: Then I will tell you as I will tell them, stop making the asinine claim that god is love. In any even, if they can't deal with their own book being used against them, fuck em.

At least, stop making the asinine claim that God loves you and gives a shit. Smile

Interestingly enough, I've always considered that Atheists would probably be BETTER at arguing for the existence of God than theists... the irony is never lost on me.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(March 18, 2012 at 6:44 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote:
(March 18, 2012 at 6:42 am)Phil Wrote: Then I will tell you as I will tell them, stop making the asinine claim that god is love. In any even, if they can't deal with their own book being used against them, fuck em.

At least, stop making the asinine claim that God loves you and gives a shit. Smile

Interestingly enough, I've always considered that Atheists would probably be BETTER at arguing for the existence of God than theists... the irony is never lost on me.

Why would an atheist that has any respect for himself resort to arguing an absurdity? I never understood that. It's like playing the Christians game and giving them some tacit approval.
(March 18, 2012 at 6:49 am)Phil Wrote: Why would an atheist that has any respect for himself resort to arguing an absurdity? I never understood that. It's like playing the Christians game and giving them some tacit approval.

If you are going to give the platform to debate, its worth understanding what they are likely to pull out of their ass.

If you construct an argument in a debate, you should be looking ahead at what their response is likely to be. Often, you may be constructing your argument to lead your debate opponent into a line of reasoning which you know can be obliterated easily.

As a good example, debating creationists on the fossil record is a pointless exercise since the idea of transitionary forms can have near infinite regress, so by understanding what argument is likely to be posited versus your position can lead them to having to defend their position instead of attacking yours.
For instance, leading them through your responses to having to defend the flood theory.

In this, Debating is a tactical game, it rarely has any useful merit. With creationists, we all know its a pointless exercise because of the fundamental retardation, and merely being willing to discuss it gives them more credibility than they deserve. That doesn't mean we don't get a kick from pointing out the retardation.

― Tim Minchin, Storm
(March 18, 2012 at 7:01 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote:
(March 18, 2012 at 6:49 am)Phil Wrote: Why would an atheist that has any respect for himself resort to arguing an absurdity? I never understood that. It's like playing the Christians game and giving them some tacit approval.

If you are going to give the platform to debate, its worth understanding what they are likely to pull out of their ass.

If you construct an argument in a debate, you should be looking ahead at what their response is likely to be. Often, you may be constructing your argument to lead your debate opponent into a line of reasoning which you know can be obliterated easily.

As a good example, debating creationists on the fossil record is a pointless exercise since the idea of transitionary forms can have near infinite regress, so by understanding what argument is likely to be posited versus your position can lead them to having to defend their position instead of attacking yours.
For instance, leading them through your responses to having to defend the flood theory.

In this, Debating is a tactical game, it rarely has any useful merit. With creationists, we all know its a pointless exercise because of the fundamental retardation, and merely being willing to discuss it gives them more credibility than they deserve. That doesn't mean we don't get a kick from pointing out the retardation.

Debating science is one thing but it is almost never that they actually know any. Debating their bible or their theology is no different then pissing in the wind, playing their game and giving them tacit approval while elevating their fantasy to the status of peer with genuine reason and logic.
(March 18, 2012 at 7:01 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: With creationists, we all know its a pointless exercise because of the fundamental retardation, and merely being willing to discuss it gives them more credibility than they deserve.

This... Logic and reason is unfortunately beyond them. I die a little inside every time I here Creationist call himself a scientist.
(March 18, 2012 at 6:41 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: What we actually prove, is not so much the nonexistence of God, given the exemption of the first part of God is Love, but you do prove that God does NOT love anyone. He is the function of Love, but incapable of it himself.
Or rather the embodiment of "self-love" perhaps.

According to the Bible at least, he does everything for his own glorification, rather than being an actual force for good and simply ending all suffering in the world. Hard to believe there are Christians out there who genuinely love that sort of egoistical power-mad monster. He's good and merciful not for our sakes, but for his own name's sake, because it would embarrass and humiliate him if he allowed his elect to go astray.

It all adds weight to the whole "Christianity is an evil cult" argument.
Thing is imho that they have a hard time (thanks to their creed) of loving themselves let alone anything outside themselves ...

Just my take on it Phil
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If There Was A HELPFUL God… BrianSoddingBoru4 49 3071 February 8, 2024 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  IF There Was God... ronedee 36 1376 February 5, 2024 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Proof that there is no God Nihilist Virus 10 2359 March 31, 2017 at 1:58 am
Last Post: ronedee
  There is no argument for the existence of "God" Foxaèr 38 7450 March 15, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: popsthebuilder
  What makes the Christian God different from thr thousands of other Gods out there? bluemonday 66 12182 March 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  You cant prove there isnt a God Pope Leo Decrapio 24 5450 January 22, 2014 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  how can you say there is no god.... k2490 13 3589 January 18, 2014 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12462 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  "IF" there was a God.... ronedee 94 23777 August 17, 2013 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  First there was Cheesus crust, then there was Cheetos Jesus, now theres.... libalchris 2 2569 July 2, 2012 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Minimalist