Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reliable internet speed test?
Reliable internet speed test?
Can anyone recommend a reliable test for download/upload speeds?

My new ISP claims download speeds of 12 to 100 Mbps.

I've done two tests:

The first one gave a download speed of 9 Mbps(which is a huge improvement)

The second gave a speed of 32 Mbps.
RE: Reliable internet speed test?
(March 21, 2012 at 5:56 pm)padraic Wrote: Can anyone recommend a reliable test for download/upload speeds?

My new ISP claims download speeds of 12 to 100 Mbps.

I've done two tests:

The first one gave a download speed of 9 Mbps(which is a huge improvement)

The second gave a speed of 32 Mbps.

If by "reliable" you mean "consistent", you aren't likely to find one. You're dealing with so many shared pipes at unknown usage levels that you're not likely to see consistent test results.

Depends also on what you're testing - your ISP claims of 12-100 Mbps probably means "up to 12-100 Mbps, until you leave our network", which doesn't really tell you much about sites you're interested in.

The best "test" I've used is a bittorrent client. Start a download of several well-seeded torrents with your client configured to handle as many connections as your equipment can handle without choking. You'll probably be able to saturate your pipe (or whatever else is the bottleneck on your end), and see what your aggregate download/upload speed is at any point in time. Unfortunately, this isn't the kind of test you can just run, it takes a bit of experimentation to get the config right.

It's also entirely possible that your speed is going to be limited by your equipment as well, when you start talking about the mid-upper end of what they claim to provide. If you're running wireless-G, you'll never break 54Mbps (and probably won't even get nearly that good). Even if you're running wired ethernet, it's very possible you won't get anywhere near the rated speed of the wire, or your pipe (crappy network hardware, crappy drivers, crappy network stack).
http://speedtest.net
[Image: 1848889422.png]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Tiberius: I did the test you linked;

Down: 11.23 Mbps

Up 2.83 Mbps

Fastest actual download speed on bittorrent is just over 1 Mbps . Currently I have restricted upload speeds to 90 Kbps. That is because all usage counts towards my allowance.
Repeat the speedtest.net test at different points during the day and you'll get a pretty good idea of your average internet speed. The test works best if you close all other programs using an internet connection.
[Image: 1850950668.png]
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
[Image: 1851967396.png]

OK, yeah, not your typical consumer connection. Angel
My uploading speed is 1.301Mbps and Downloading speed is 5.423Mbps..I have checked the speed at www.scanmyspeed.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would happen to the Internet if there were no regulation? FlatAssembler 7 252 January 27, 2024 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Will quantum computers slow our Internet down? FlatAssembler 5 486 November 16, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Need info on Internet connection when even cell phone service is iffy arewethereyet 10 982 February 24, 2023 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] Anyone here use ECU Test? Jehanne 2 513 September 1, 2022 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  CPU/CPU Fan speed. Goosebump 5 731 February 27, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Ermagerd not Internet Explorer! Rhizomorph13 18 1443 April 6, 2021 at 8:51 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Test if a ZIP is infected FlatAssembler 21 2227 June 11, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Opinions on "fiber optic" internet? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1885 February 19, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Internet Speed 2018 Iroscato 20 2584 April 19, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  My maturity test FlatAssembler 14 1613 January 10, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain