Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
'Why We Believe In Gods'
'Why We Believe In Gods'
'WE' being humanity in general. Why do people believe in Gods?

[youtube]1iMmvu9eMrg[/youtube]
RE: 'Why We Believe In Gods'
That was facinating.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
As a computer scientist, I believe that people are biological supercomputers that evolved due to natural selection. The thing about computers is that they can be programmed. A lot of children are programmed at a very early age to believe in religion and behave according to its precepts. They are even programmed to resist attempts to reprogram themselves according to reason and logic.
(May 24, 2009 at 9:42 am)lrh9 Wrote: As a computer scientist, I believe that people are biological supercomputers that evolved due to natural selection. The thing about computers is that they can be programmed. A lot of children are programmed at a very early age to believe in religion and behave according to its precepts. They are even programmed to resist attempts to reprogram themselves according to reason and logic.

Shouldn't that be, "As a computer scientist and rabid mass-murderer"? ... I think that, as a scientist, precision is important don't you?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Lectures like this should be played in school assemblies..
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(May 24, 2009 at 10:52 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(May 24, 2009 at 9:42 am)lrh9 Wrote: As a computer scientist, I believe that people are biological supercomputers that evolved due to natural selection. The thing about computers is that they can be programmed. A lot of children are programmed at a very early age to believe in religion and behave according to its precepts. They are even programmed to resist attempts to reprogram themselves according to reason and logic.

Shouldn't that be, "As a computer scientist and rabid mass-murderer"? ... I think that, as a scientist, precision is important don't you?

Kyu

Only the precision necessary to the task at hand. Here that is answering the question of why people are religious. If the questions was: "Why are people religious and what are we going to do about it?", then I would have said that people are programmed to be religious and I favor the solution of wiping out the ones that want to proselytize to those who don't want to hear it.
Glad that at least most of you appear to have enjoyed the video guys Smile

EvF
Great video. thank you very much. I really loved the discussion about the tree, would never have thought of it that way. Why we developed religion is quite easy - we die and we wonder what happens to us, so we go to a nice place run by a grandfatherly guy sounds nice. Also, when evil men do evil things, people who are helpless, are comforted by the thought that god will punish him.

I have to say what irritated me a bit was his constant refrain about all religions - the man basically has no idea about eastern religions, not all religions are the same. Basically there are two types of religions - the King and the Teacher. When people living thousands of years ago imagined what god would look like they needed a template (similar to what people think of alien beings - funny, they look like us) and the abrahamic religions came up with the King, strongman, dictator as god. Eastern faiths, Hinduism/Buddhism came up with a different template - the Teacher. In a teacher religion and you see this especially in Buddhism, there is no need for a god.
(May 24, 2009 at 11:29 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Glad that at least most of you appear to have enjoyed the video guys Smile

I did too ... nice one Ev.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Cool Big Grin

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Gods Ravenshire 6 823 May 2, 2017 at 12:20 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Gods of Egypt Foxaèr 5 952 March 8, 2016 at 2:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  [video] How Gods Are Taught To Love 3emeType 7 3106 July 18, 2010 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Gods do exist! theVOID 21 6351 March 16, 2010 at 6:09 am
Last Post: Violet
  The Creator, gods, Evil, and the Manipulation of Humanity TRUTH1986 10 6975 June 22, 2009 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  'Why we believe in gods' Edwardo Piet 1 1863 December 9, 2008 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: lukec