Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists can profit from religion?
Atheists can profit from religion?
Interesting take. I'd like to read the book.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/st...ZCj6%2B%2F
Trying to update my sig ...
RE: Atheists can profit from religion?
Author thinks religion has more to give people than bullshit and dogma. Fail.

I first thought (from reading the title) that the take on this article was from a different perspective. I have examples from my country of ex-non-believers who are born again Christians (Preachers/Church Ministers) for monetary gain.
Quote:"But as I look at secular society, I see how we've been abandoned to make our own way through life and how challenging that is."

So he thinks the nutjobs with the invisible friend have not been abandoned? They could pray to Quetzlcoatl for all the fucking good it will do them.
"Religion, de Botton writes, has a lot to say about how to live and love, caring for others, handling suffering, dealing with death and all the other universal experiences that make us human."

It sure does, which is why my skin crawls every time I step foot in their little believers club.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Not suggesting it is a compelling case at all. The author is an intellectual and has written some interesting stuff in the past.
Trying to update my sig ...
Atheists can profit from religion if they become the next Peter Popoff and exploit the sheer stupidity of theists.
It's not only atheists, but the believers of other faith can too benefit from the morality that is preached by Chrisitanity. Forgeting the "misinterpreted" parts of the Bible, the rest is a message of love. And love is good.
Don't need religion to be moral. Don't need religion to be happy. Don't need religion for answers. Don't need religion to live a fulfilled life. So take your religion and shove it up your arse hole!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(March 27, 2012 at 5:15 am)Ace Otana Wrote: Don't need religion to be moral. Don't need religion to be happy. Don't need religion for answers. Don't need religion to live a fulfilled life. So take your religion and shove it up your arse hole!

Thanks for the nice comment Angel Cloud

Talking about profit, I think once you start up a faith group, you will automatically profit from member donations. These donations can then by put back into the setup to make it grow. With time, the faith group can become a profitable successful business venture. Of course, this "profit" should not be for member's personal use, but given as charity to the needy.

(March 27, 2012 at 5:26 am)Christian Wrote: Talking about profit, I think once you start up a faith group, you will automatically profit from member donations. These donations can then by put back into the setup to make it grow. With time, the faith group can become a profitable successful business venture. Of course, this "profit" should not be for member's personal use, but given as charity to the needy.

A business venture like this - which is built on no concrete commodity - is commonly referred to as a Ponzi Scheme.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 15759 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4234 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2200 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Pathos article atheists can identify with. Brian37 6 2194 September 19, 2017 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38790 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends? Detachable 76 10917 August 12, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Jesster
  Shouldn't Atheists learn to accept religion? BlueGirl 185 17874 June 26, 2016 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Esiar
  When Atheists Can't Think Episode 1: No Evidence for God? Delicate 510 86292 December 30, 2015 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  When Atheists Can't Think Episode 2: Proving Atheism False Heat 18 3401 December 22, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can Atheism become corrupt like religion? superAtheistnut 54 9761 April 20, 2015 at 3:01 am
Last Post: robvalue