Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is it about America? Does America's education system just suck?
What is it about America? Does America's education system just suck?
Here in the UK theres almost noone who still believes in creationism, and the majority of young people are atheists.

If you go to church you just find it full of old and middle aged people, and some captive kids who are forced to go. I guess we're smarter than our parents generation.

What is it about America that so many people still believe in the virtually literal word of the Bible and are such strong Christians.

Do they actually teach kids science and evolution in American schools?

It makes me think either Americans are genetically stupider than other countries or their education system must be absolutely terrible.
RE: What is it about America? Does America's education system just suck?
I work for an elementary school currently and they are taught their basic sciences here as you would expect. I was taught evolution in 6th grade personally. The thing with America is that being religious is the cool thing to do. The majority of the "christians" here are not really all that religious. It's just a label they like to give themselves. They don't know anything about their religion and only go to church on easter. But boy do they think they know everything and are quick to tell your heathen ass you're going to hell! I see 8 and 9 year old kids here wearing rosaries to school and they don't have any idea what the fuck it means. To answer the question, the education system does suck. However, it's not responsible for the religious idiocy in America.
I think a large part of it is that education isn't as valued as it should be here in the states. In fact, in some circles getting a college education makes you an elitist. For some reason many Americans take pride in their ignorance. America will be a Mecca of ignorance until this mindset changes.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 27, 2012 at 8:06 am)Xavier Wrote: Here in the UK theres almost noone who still believes in creationism, and the majority of young people are atheists.

If you go to church you just find it full of old and middle aged people, and some captive kids who are forced to go. I guess we're smarter than our parents generation.

What is it about America that so many people still believe in the virtually literal word of the Bible and are such strong Christians.

Do they actually teach kids science and evolution in American schools?

It makes me think either Americans are genetically stupider than other countries or their education system must be absolutely terrible.

Young people in America just don't care, because their parents are self-entitled idiots who just repeat mindlessly, over and over, that America is the best country in the world, and Americans are the best people in the world (for trying so hard to save all the other starving people the world is apparently made of), just because they were told that as children and have never left America to see differently. There's strong bigotry here. Most Americans see America as the most important and only good thing in the world, due in large part because our history classes downplay the role of any other countries besides us in world history. (Russia, apparently, didn't win WWII, ancient China was never powerful, and the French didn't help us win our revolution, which totally wasn't just a bunch of greedy pinheads who wanted lower taxes than the European citizens had to pay. Seriously, it's passed off as a war for freedom, nevermind we were fighting for special privilege. And everyone just ignores that by the time we abolished slavery, most other European countries had already done away with it. History classes make it seem like we were the first ones to realize it was wrong- not damn near the last.) World history BEFORE America is barely discussed.
I've chatted with my fellow American friends on this issue, and they couldn't even name what countries we had troops in right now. Is that a little shocking, that the biggest (military) power in the world literally has no idea what war's it's in?
They thought that the middle east was a desert filled with terrorists, and said we should nuke them because they're all the same. They said asians are short little people who say "ching chong" and are obsessed with honor, and they think Europe is below Africa, and still fights wars with knights. I'm not making this up. They think Africa is one country. None of them even knew the differences between Republicans and Democrats, despite fervently claiming to be one or the other.
And it's not just my friends who are idiots- it's EVERYONE. I'm sorry, I badly needed that rant.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
(March 27, 2012 at 8:06 am)Xavier Wrote: Do they actually teach kids science and evolution in American schools?

Haven't you heard? Americans are genetically superior to everyone. Just ask an American. Tongue
[Image: Evolution.png]

(March 27, 2012 at 9:02 am)Cinjin Wrote:
(March 27, 2012 at 8:06 am)Xavier Wrote: Do they actually teach kids science and evolution in American schools?

Haven't you heard? Americans are genetically superior to everyone. Just ask an American. Tongue

I can attest to this. It's true. Americans hear from birth that their country is the best in the world, and they made it that way- so many people grow up with massive superiority complexes.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Oh education is highly valued here, just ask the guy collecting tuition fees...lol. The problem is that education (like any commodity) is treated as priceless when you're the one selling it, and worthless when you're the one buying it. I never finished my degree, due to a combination of a lack of funds to proceed and a less than pleasant projection of the return on my investment. It's not even completely accurate to say that I don't have the cash to buy that piece of paper, I simply can't justify doing so with so many other uses for that particular resource. My money makes me more money than a college degree is likely to, and college is too expensive for me to pick up as a hobby, presently.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Actual quote by an American adult I found in another forum today:
"Russia is a state in Africa, which is a country in Asia."
... If heads could spontaneously combust mine would have done so.

I have a third cousin in America, he thought cheese came from macaronis, hot dogs were actual dogs and corn dog was a plant. (he was 17)
It’s hilarious and sad!
ROFLOL

I am so glad I’m European.
Sounds like a particularly dense american, and you a particularly dense european for not recognizing that immediately. Now what?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
No wonder I've heard America is like Utopia for poker players, if people are so dim, although I've never played there yet.

But I am going to Las Vegas for 2 months in the summer to hopefully win lots of money from some rich yanks Devil

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious education (short video) Zenith 15 2290 January 21, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Zenith
Wink The Attraction System In MEN & WOMEN Proves God Exists!!! Edward John 69 13347 December 12, 2016 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Higher Education & Religion Surgenator 23 4816 October 20, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Natachan
  Why does North America have the most Atheists? greekGod 13 3047 August 20, 2014 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care? Eel_LahjicK 63 11446 August 18, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  hypocritical Christians complaining about islamic infiltration of the school system Ziploc Surprise 34 14160 November 3, 2012 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  How to Suck at Your Religion Cinjin 11 4177 September 1, 2012 at 3:36 am
Last Post: CaseyTheAthie
  Paper: The relationship of religiosity with education and intelligence. Tiberius 7 2802 June 8, 2012 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Writers: if you're not Judeo-Christian, chances are you suck. thesummerqueen 52 20586 February 15, 2012 at 11:15 am
Last Post: LarissaAnn
  Suck on this one you pony worshipping heathens! leo-rcc 16 3688 October 29, 2011 at 11:18 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin