Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catholic Church targets 'non-cognitive elites'
Catholic Church targets 'non-cognitive elites'
Pharyngula Blog
Pharyngula - PZ Myers Wrote:I have a new favorite insult!
by PZ Myers

I shouldn’t be this petty, given the ghastliness of these recently disclosed documents from the National Organization for Marriage. NOM is openly linking up with the Catholic Church, which is providing millions of dollars for campaigns to poison people into hating gays. They’re talking about fomenting hatred: they want to “interrupt the process of assimilation” of Hispanics into the wider culture by making gay marriage a sticking point; they say “The strategic goal of this project is to drive a wedge between gays and blacks – two key Democratic constituencies.”

This is despicable. They’re targeting minorities to train them to find a new reason to hate, an artificial reason that widens the gulf without addressing the real problems of discrimination.

That isn’t funny. Their methods aren’t funny, either: they have lots of money, and they’re throwing it into hate-mongering ads, just like the Mormon church did with Proposition 8. But one of their proposed tactics did tickle my warped sense of humor:

"Hollywood with its cultural biases is far bigger than we can hope to be. We recognize this. But we also recognize the opportunity – the disproportionate potential impact of proactively seeking to gather and connect a community of artists, athletes, writers, beauty queens and other glamorous non-cognitive elites across national boundaries."

Yeah, they’re going to recruit famous dumbasses who can fall for their lies and toxic message…because don’t you know how effective Victoria Jackson has been as a spokesperson for tea-party insanity? But I do love how they openly admit that they have to recruit stupid people…ahem, I mean “non-cognitive” people… to their cause.

That's just low.. deliberately targeting famous stupid people to get your message of Hate around.

These guys think they're doing the word of God, then why target stupid people? Do they already KNOW that smart people don't fall for their shit?

Weirds me out completely. But I have a new favourite insult too.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
RE: Catholic Church targets 'non-cognitive elites'
Of course it is low. It wouldn't be religion if it wasn't willing to sink to any depth, extract any price from humanity, disseminate any bullshit, exploit any intellectual weakness to aggrandize itself.
Hey, that's what faith does. Ask any Christian, faith gives you the right to push any BS on anyone simply because you can, no matter how vile or harmful.
Quote:deliberately targeting famous stupid people to get your message of Hate around.

Nothing new in this. All churches are aimed at the dumbest of the dumb. Just look at the collection of theistic assholes we have around here.
(March 29, 2012 at 1:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Just look at the collection of theistic assholes we have around here.

About them, about those "theistic assholes" that come around here: why do they? Are they some kind of perverted masochists, or do they think they are doing the Lord's work? (Finding and trapping heathens in the lion's den).
(March 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm)BoyWonder Wrote: About them, about those "theistic assholes" that come around here: why do they? Are they some kind of perverted masochists, or do they think they are doing the Lord's work? (Finding and trapping heathens in the lion's den).

Yes.
(March 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm)BoyWonder Wrote:
(March 29, 2012 at 1:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Just look at the collection of theistic assholes we have around here.

About them, about those "theistic assholes" that come around here: why do they? Are they some kind of perverted masochists, or do they think they are doing the Lord's work? (Finding and trapping heathens in the lion's den).

I have soooo often wondered this too. I imagine they think it's their "Christian duty" to try and convert us to Chrisitianity ~cough~ force your religion on others ~cough~

Many religions, Christianity most especially, are absolutely incapable of the concept of live and let live. It's in the bible to "go out and make disciples" which over the years has turned into be a friggin pain in the ass and hound them over and over again and one day they will see the "truth" and convert. But what Christians don't understand is WE KNOW the whole friggin story and concept, if people wanted to convert they would. Sitting there forcing it down our throats will 99 times out of 100 do nothing but annoy us and turn us even more OFF to Christianity than towards it.
~*~Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does ~*~

~*~Live a good life. If there are Gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are Gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no Gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones - Marcus Aurelius~*~
So they consider writers to be in the same cognitive category as beauty queens? They must be talking about sit-com writers.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I suspect the majority of them are just trolls.

But if they want to play the role I'm glad to shit all over them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Former Catholic MR. Macabre 666 12 1282 October 2, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1777 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Persistent Non-Symbolic Experiences Ahriman 0 539 August 18, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 671 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God as a non-creator Fake Messiah 13 1671 January 21, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7229 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13504 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 792 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Non Sequitur Minimalist 8 1553 August 20, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Cognitive dissonance robvalue 59 8017 March 7, 2016 at 3:24 am
Last Post: robvalue