Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, new to the forums.
Hi, new to the forums.
Hello strangers, my name is David. I am 21 years of age and I have recently changed my religious view from agnostic to atheist.

I am of Chinese descent but have spent the majority of my life in Canada, and thus I am familiar with how atheism is viewed in western (American specifically) culture. My parents are religious people, not associated with any particular religion but they believe in general that god(s) or higher power does exist. If I had to say, their lifestyle and traditions can be attributed to that of Buddhist influence. They believe in karma and the soul and resurrection.
I should add my grandfather was a Taoist priest who would perform rituals and ceremonies at funerals for a living. He passed away about two years ago at which time our family participated in his own funeral rituals. Out of respect I too took part in this event, I expected it to have some effect on me and my beliefs but to be quite frank, it made no difference in how I viewed the world.

I do have a concern regarding my stance on religion. I want to voice my opinion about it but I don't want to hurt anyone in the process. I realize that this, while a nice gesture, is extremely naive.
I want to be able to talk to my parents, or just people in general about religion without taking from them a pillar of their existence. I can be quite adamant about my beliefs at times , although I can't hope to change everyone's view I can at least encourage those that are dearest to me to gain new perspectives. I'm not sure how to go about this, if anyone has had similar experience please feel free to share!

Currently I am reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins, a fascinating book in which many compelling arguments against religion can be found (though I assure you this is not the reason I'm reading it for). I recommend it to anyone else that consider themselves agnostic or atheist, I quite enjoyed the literature even though it is a non-fiction book.

That is all for my first post! Thank you for reading Smile .
RE: Hi, new to the forums.
Welcome.
Welcome

I'm constantly pissing my mom off whenever I make sly remarks about religion, but she still likes me (I think). I say, if you have a point to make, then make it. Doesn't have to try and convert anyone, just point out they are wrong Big Grin
Good to have you aboard.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm)Aboojoo Wrote: I quite enjoyed the literature even though it is a fiction book.

I meant to say non-fiction here, I wasn't allowed to edit it but didn't want to leave the obvious mistake unattended.
Welcome to the forums!!! Smile

Peace, Aboo.
Welcome Aboo
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm)Aboojoo Wrote:
(March 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm)Aboojoo Wrote: I quite enjoyed the literature even though it is a fiction book.

I meant to say non-fiction here, I wasn't allowed to edit it but didn't want to leave the obvious mistake unattended.

I will fix that for you now. Welcome aboard!
When I was an atheist I would just say, that I did not see the need for god. Things just are what they are. I'm fine with the idea of dying nothing I can do about anyway. I find life meaningful enough within the narrow circle of my own life. And how do you expect me to know everything, I hardly know how the toaster works?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello and Good Night Atheist forums! Violet 22 3134 May 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Hello Forums. Nimbus 20 1917 February 21, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello to Atheist Forums haig 44 5984 February 16, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  New to the Forums RiddledWithFear 24 3058 November 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3481 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello all I am new at the forums blackstar 15 3311 October 21, 2015 at 4:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 3053 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172
  New to the Forums The Incredible Atheist 27 3993 September 12, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New to the atheist forums MusicLovingAtheist 18 3947 September 2, 2014 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Hello New to the forums lordofgemini 15 2095 March 22, 2014 at 1:49 am
Last Post: *Deidre*