Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epicurean Paradox
Epicurean Paradox
This was a good question asked and answered in that "other web site"

I'm often trolled by atheists who ask me this, what do you guys think?

I usually defend it in that it's not in God's nature to act in that way, but I'm not sure how good of an argument that is.

For those of you who don't know what the Epicurean Paradox is, it is as follows:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
Taken from the last time I answer this question:

My response:
We answer this like we do with any other question.

first we define the parameters of the question. Meaning we take into account the circumstances of the who or when the question was asked, and then we look at what is asked.

Second we help the one asking the question to redefine any misconceptions they may have in the questions asked, leading to a false assumption, then we address the question according to the bible.

Finally we draw together all of the points i have outlined so they can come to a biblically based conclusion.

For example we know that this Greek philosopher lived about 2300 years ago and was not privy the revelation of Christ and the teachings of the NT. at best He was living in a truly dark age which saw no light of salvation. If someone is using his words in the context He wrote them, then a simple explanation of the Gospel should answer each and every question Epicurus had.

But I know the general popularity this set of questions has found in recent days is not because of the original intent this philosopher had when He wrote this query. Our modern want-to-be's have taken this question and married it with a pop culture understanding of the words, sin, evil and a loose understanding omni aspects of God.

So what we must do now is re-educate and give a biblical account of these words and how they relate to the popular culture's understanding of these questions. We do this by deconstructing the question line by line.
(I took the liberty of looking up the actual quote)

We start with the basics by giving a biblical definition of Sin, Evil and Freewill.

Sin, is anything not in the expressed will of God.

Evil is a malicious intent to be outside the expressed will of God.

Not all sin is Evil, but all Evil is sin.

Free Will Is the ability to be outside of the Expressed Will of God on your own accord. In other words The "gift" of free will is the ability to Sin.

We have been given this ability so we may choose where we wish to spend eternity, but as with any real choice comes a price and consequence.

*Side note; Apparently Epicurus did not have a complete understanding of God's word or His plan as outlined here. nor would anyone of that time period, but to those who would twist this effort to suit their own agenda there will be little excuse.

On to the actual quote:
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.

Evil is the ultimate expression of sin. It is the proof that we indeed have a will outside of God's expressed will. In other words Evil is the proof or ultimate result of free will.

Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.

If we were not given the choices this life affords (including the option to be evil) then we would have simply been created to either spend an eternity with God or to Spend an eternity in Hell. This is the picture of true malevolence. (The souls being created to exist in Hell with no say in the matter) As it is we have been given a choice to be evil or not. No one is forcing us to be evil. It is a choice made in a man's heart apart from the expressed Will of God. Because we have been given a true choice we have to all live with the consequences.

Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?

Again, Evil is the proof of Free will. Free Will and the consequences of those choices are the point and purpose of this life. We are to choose where we wish to spend eternity. Without "Sin and Evil" there is not point of been given this existence.

Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

Because the Title "God" has absolutely nothing to do with how Epicurus nor the person using this quote defines it.
RE: Epicurean Paradox
Pretty sure Epicurus didn't have a complex understanding of god because no one's even established that god exists yet. Go back to the drawing board.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(March 30, 2012 at 9:29 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Pretty sure Epicurus didn't have a complex understanding of god because no one's even established that god exists yet. Go back to the drawing board.

Your profile picture makes it look like your thinking "You have kidding me." lol
Cutting down on all the excuses, redefinitions, rationalizations, evasions... the blah-di-blah and the yack-yack-yack, what it comes down to is this.

God was able to prevent evil by not giving anyone free-will. He was not willing to do that. Therefore, malevolent.
I think that you'd be surprised at how much access ancient greek philosophers had to your little "revelation" before it was ever "revealed". Mostly because your "reveal-er" seems to have been a plagiarist.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:If we were not given the choices this life affords (including the option to be evil) then we would have simply been created to either spend an eternity with God or to Spend an eternity in Hell. This is the picture of true malevolence. (The souls being created to exist in Hell with no say in the matter) As it is we have been given a choice to be evil or not. No one is forcing us to be evil. It is a choice made in a man's heart apart from the expressed Will of God. Because we have been given a true choice we have to all live with the consequences.

Humpf, that's funny. I don't remember choosing to be evil. I don't remember choosing a sinful life, I don't believe in sin remember? I don't believe in hell remember? I don't believe in god remember? Also I don't do bad things, I don't steal, I don't hurt people. I've chosen a life of peace, productivity and lots of sex. Yet I bet that just because I've rejected a religious claim that some how I deserve to go to hell right?
With god I've noticed, it always seems to come back to that - Either your on my side or your my enemy. He seems a bit of a prat to be honest.

Read my sig.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I always find it curious that the definitions of Sin and Evil, bear no relation to moral concepts of Good or Bad, merely "Do as you're told" "Don't do as you're told" and then tell us free will is a gift.. just don't use it.. that would be Sin.

Free Will, except.. Go to Hell if your will does not match God's will.

Therefore Malevolent.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(March 30, 2012 at 9:32 am)Insanity x Wrote: Your profile picture makes it look like your thinking "You have kidding me." lol

My profile picture is actually me in my underwear studying and making a smirk at my Irish friend Niall, but if it happens to express disgusted skepticism at any sort of religious apologetics I'm fuckin' for it.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(March 30, 2012 at 9:26 am)Drich Wrote: I'm often trolled by atheists
Oh do shut up.

Quote:We answer this like we do with any other question.
No you don't. Its called a paradox. You can't resolve it because its a Paradox. You can't dismiss it with that "freewill" bullshit because its a P-a-r-a-d-o-x.

PARADOX.

PARA-FUCKING-DOX.
None of this answers the paradox. It just side steps the question by reinterpreting it into a Christian famework. Most of the philosophical basis for what we now consider "Christianity" was laid by Greek thinkers like Plato and Aristotle.

If god has these traits then the paradox stands. Saying that the rules are set up to allow differently is not satisfying. If god created the rules then it is useless to make this claim.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Paradox of Power.... ronedee 607 105319 October 6, 2015 at 12:17 am
Last Post: ronedee
  A strange apologetic paradox Esquilax 10 2637 February 21, 2014 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  The abortion paradox Ciel_Rouge 88 28114 September 9, 2012 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Christian Paradox tackattack 127 47669 February 18, 2010 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: fr0d0