Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:19 pm

Poll: How many years have you been an atheist?
This poll is closed.
0 - 3 yrs
13.16%
5 13.16%
4 - 10 yrs
18.42%
7 18.42%
11 - 15 yrs
7.89%
3 7.89%
16 - 20 yrs
13.16%
5 13.16%
21+ yrs
47.37%
18 47.37%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many years have you been an atheist?
How many years have you been an atheist?
Just wondering. And also, what religion did you leave?

I've been atheist a few months and left the mormon religion years ago.
RE: How many years have you been an atheist?
Mish mash of Catholicism and Anglicism. I was about 8, then by 14 totally atheistic
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 1, 2012 at 12:16 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Mish mash of Catholicism and Anglicism. I was about 8, then by 14 totally atheistic

wow. if you dont mind me asking, was there something specific that changed your mind?
I don't recall ever having believed, so, we'll have to go with "a lifetime". Did the sunday school bit, the tent revival bits, and of course I spent plenty of time at catholic schools. How my sphincter evaded violation is a mystery to me. Wrong shade of lipstick, I suppose.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The sanctimonious and abusive behaviour of theists. Read the Bible cover to cover at the age of 11.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 1, 2012 at 12:21 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: The sanctimonious and abusive behaviour of theists.

I hear this often. Couldn't you have explained it away as 'god is good but people do stupid things'? Or 'people misunderstand and misrepresent god'?
Perhaps they understand their god perfectly well, and it just so happens that he's a total douche. lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I didn't leave a religion. Weird presumption.
I was an idol worshiping, zombie blood drinking catholic. been a full out atheist for about 5 years. Before that, as an adult, I was pretty much an apatheist... just happy I was old enough that no one could force me to go to church anymore.

I'm a catholic atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long has Humanity been on Planet Earth? MFrancis 19 689 March 13, 2024 at 6:16 am
Last Post: GUBU
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5019 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
Lightbulb Computers have been converted to Islam religion! AVMXF 40 2676 August 20, 2023 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2270 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 6983 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 30091 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6180 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 17100 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  How come there arent many atheists such as Bill Maher Roeki 30 8779 July 6, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago! thool 19 2464 January 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist