Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What planted the seed?
What planted the seed?
I searched the forums, and I couldn't find anything quite like this. What planted the seed of atheism in your mind, so to speak? Do you remember what started you down this path?

I recall, way back in elementary school, a couple of kids asked my brother and I who we loved more- each other, or god. We both answered each other. (Not in an odd way, btw. No gay incest here. Big Grin)

The other kids were shocked and confused. They argued and said that we must love god more. I remember being quite irritated with them, and religion. I think that's the first time I remember doubting god.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
RE: What planted the seed?
I was raised in a non-religious household. My mom is Christian and my dad is an atheist, but neither really talked about it. I don't know if any seeds were planted. I do not remember a time when I believed the Bible or in god. I do remember going to Sunday school occasionally with a friend of mine when I was little and just sitting there uncomfortably. Perhaps that sense of awkwardness about religion was what compelled me to really form an opinion about god later in life.
That's a goood question. I don't really remember what actually started me down the path of doubt, but I do recall learning about evolution and trying to reconcile it with the creation nonsense in Genesis. I remember that leading to thoughts of Adam and Eve and how little sense the story made to me, even then. I think the seed was planted by the bible itself, because it's so obviously a bunch of bullshit.
But we are all born atheists until we are taught religion. So wouldn't the answer be birth?
Hmm. I loved Derren Brown as a performer. Then I found out he was atheist. Then I listened to him speak and it made sense. And he used to be Christian, and his perspective was his deconversion. How could I resist considering that?
Quote:What planted the seed of atheism in your mind, so to speak?

Being brought up severe Irish Catholic; arguably the most pig ignorant,superstitious, bigoted and hateful form of a pernicious faith. (Catholicism) Angry
My dad, albeit accidentally, provided the seed of my doubt. He taught me to be skeptical and only believe things with verifiable evidence as he himself is a scientist. I'm not sure he ever expected me to apply that to his religion.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Spinoza. And then "Leaves of Grass."
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
For me it wasn't a seed, but more like standing under a fine mist and denying that I was getting wet. At some point, no matter how I moved around, I got all wet. When I stopped trying to do mental gymnastics to make all the pieces of religion fit together I cast religion off.
I have always been an atheist. It wasn't until someone tried to convert me that I realized that i needed to call myself an "atheist". I got confused after that and tried to anthropomorphize the universe for a bit but I couldn't force myself to believe no matter how much I thought I needed. Now I'm happily atheist again. The seed was a healthy, skeptical, scientific impulse thanks to my parents and educators.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire