Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Kind of Atheist are you?
What Kind of Atheist are you?
I've encountered roughly two main differences between Atheists.. Those who aren't afraid to admit it, and those who are scared of peer pressure etc, and hide their true beliefs.. There's nothing wrong with either, as sometimes it would be an advantage to not draw attention to ones self. Anyways, which kind are you?

I am rather blunt about being an Atheist.. Although it has undoubtedly caused problems for me.
~Lane~
RE: What Kind of Atheist are you?
If anyone asks, I tell them.

Though it doesn't really crop up in conversation much in the UK.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Its a bit of a non-issue in the UK unless you actually live in a community dominated by a particular brand of faith.

If it comes up in conversation and I'm asked, I answer. I get the feeling this question depends entirely on the location of the person answering.

The UK screws up almost everything its touching, but its still heading in the right direction on secularism.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
I'm open about being atheist, but that's not to say I run around shouting it from the rooftops. If asked, I tell. Otherwise, I just live my daily life like anyone else.
It turns up rather frequently around here, this town is rather religious... Good ol' America >_>
~Lane~
My town is quite religious (for the UK). We have lots of 2 things Churches and Pubs Big Grin

Nobody has asked me about my beliefs outside of a couple of family events in church where I was just honest. Made one or two of the more religious a bit uneasy but other than that Big Grin
If someone asks I tell, I don't go around proclaiming it like an evangelical Christian would. BTW, as far as what type of atheist I am - poly, I lack belief in many gods.
Kind? Does that mean Noah brought two of us on the ark?
(April 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: If anyone asks, I tell them.

Though it doesn't really crop up in conversation much in the UK.

Yes, let's go on about how great it is in no-free-speech-state-officially-Christian England. Angel
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
(April 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm)SavageNerdz Wrote: which kind are you?

Well since I'm in the UK it's not a problem. I could easily come out and there'd be no issue.
I keep it to myself unless asked or asked to attend a religious event. Both never happen. Seeing as most of my family are atheists.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Haha lucky, a lot of people i go to school with end up asking me.. I always give them some witty response and it takes them awhile to realize that i'm not religious. ;D

(April 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm)Ace Otana Wrote:
(April 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm)SavageNerdz Wrote: which kind are you?

Well since I'm in the UK it's not a problem. I could easily come out and there'd be no issue.
I keep it to myself unless asked or asked to attend a religious event. Both never happen. Seeing as most of my family are atheists.

~Lane~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  All kind of Agnostics people Eclectic 4 502 August 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7016 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  what kind of pet food do you like? Rico 15 3252 July 19, 2015 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What Kind of Atheist are You? AFTT47 89 11595 May 2, 2015 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  as an atheist, what kind of morality do you foster in your lives? ticktaka 34 6308 April 19, 2014 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  kind of isolated k2490 11 2282 June 21, 2013 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: k2490
  What kind of atheist are you? frz 40 8450 April 17, 2013 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Brayton.l
  What Kind of Atheist Am I? LunchBox 29 6098 September 12, 2011 at 8:51 am
Last Post: leo-rcc