Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beck And Reason Rally
Beck And Reason Rally
I am so glad I went!

I watched the first few minutes then had nausea and had to stop.

And to think people believe this shit.

Glen Beck On Atheism and Reason Rally
RE: Beck And Reason Rally
The song would have been great if that mormon shitball hadn't bleeped it.
Ugh where to begin with this man...

On another, more embarrassing note, I agreed with two of his points. An event with that much profanity should not be advertised as "kid friendly" and Farrakan is a crazy person.

That "inclusive" dig is nonsense though. As though a Christian church were inclusive of atheists and gay people. That made me laugh.

But Beck is a Mormon, he has NO right to critize anybody's beliefs as crazy. I wonder if he was wearing the magic Mormon underwear as he said this.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
Interesting how he jumped on a song expressing disgust about priests fiddling with kids as illustrative of how bad atheists are. The 'kid friendly' thing might be a valid point, but if I'd ever had the chance to have kids, I'd much rather expose them to Tim Minchin than the Pope and his Mafia.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(April 7, 2012 at 12:20 am)Stimbo Wrote: Interesting how he jumped on a song expressing disgust about priests fiddling with kids as illustrative of how bad atheists are. The 'kid friendly' thing might be a valid point, but if I'd ever had the chance to have kids, I'd much rather expose them to Tim Minchin than the Pope and his Mafia.

Yeah thats certainly the larger point. I'd leave my kid with a foul mouthed atheist any day over a clean and proper pedophile priest. Very ironic that he chose the song about how kids are not safe with priests to illustrate that kids are not safe at the Reason Rally. Well, there's the religious mind for you.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
When I was a kid, we sang songs much like that all the time. Just not when adults were around. I don't think any children would be scarred or emotionally damaged if they heard that song.
I missed the connection between the growth of atheism on the one hand and crazy-Christian-Wright and Muslim radicals. I know there was a connection of some kind because we're on the same blackboard. However, I won't watch it again to see if I missed anything.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(April 7, 2012 at 12:56 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: When I was a kid, we sang songs much like that all the time. Just not when adults were around. I don't think any children would be scarred or emotionally damaged if they heard that song.
I missed the connection between the growth of atheism on the one hand and crazy-Christian-Wright and Muslim radicals. I know there was a connection of some kind because we're on the same blackboard. However, I won't watch it again to see if I missed anything.

I wasn't saying it would be traumatic for the kids or anything I mean hell we all said our fair share of filthy things as children. That was the funnest part, right when you first learn how to swear and try to do it in as many different ways as possible. Good times. I would just like to know if I was taking a kid to an event that I would know what to expect and had the choice not to if I didn't think it was appropriate. That's my point.

(April 7, 2012 at 12:56 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: When I was a kid, we sang songs much like that all the time. Just not when adults were around. I don't think any children would be scarred or emotionally damaged if they heard that song.

Indeed. Terry Pratchett, now Sir, made the observation in one of his books (Hogfather, I think) about how nice it is to hear children laughing and playing and singing, as long as you don't get too close so you hear what they're singing about. As grownups we tend to forget what it's like to be a child.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Glenn Beck epitomizes everything I despise about American stupidity.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Anyone notice how he got the lyrics wrong? He said Greece instead of priests.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A solid reason to not support Discovery+ Foxaèr 5 534 March 31, 2021 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Louis Theroux: By Reason Of Insanity TubbyTubby 9 2120 March 24, 2015 at 6:17 am
Last Post: TubbyTubby
Video Reason Rally AAAPrez 4 1841 January 31, 2012 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Glenn Beck facing sack after losing over a million viewers downbeatplumb 12 5043 March 9, 2011 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Ubermensch
  All things Glenn Beck. downbeatplumb 2 1515 February 4, 2011 at 8:56 am
Last Post: muhtesem insan
  rabbis warn fox news and glenn beck about their misuse of the holocaust downbeatplumb 18 7203 January 28, 2011 at 9:29 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Back in Black - Glenn Beck's Nazi Tourette's leo-rcc 3 2102 May 14, 2010 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy
  Bill Maher - The Reason For Everything And The Purpose Of Life leo-rcc 13 7285 July 30, 2009 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: binny