Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make Penicillin?
How to make Penicillin?
This is an odd question, so let me rephrase from the title. Penicillin, if memory serves, was created in 1923. Yet, it seems to take next to no technology to make, considering it's made from a mold. Could penicillin have been discovered earlier in history? If someone had gotten lucky earlier, could it have been discovered, say, in the dark ages? (Assuming the church wouldn't have viewed it as witchcraft and murdered everyone involved in making it, of course.)

Or does the technology required to make penicillin not exist until later in history? (I'm not talking about mass production tecniques, just the technology required to produce some of it.)
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
RE: How to make Penicillin?
This might help.
The microscope was not invented until the late 17th century and it was some 200 years later when the idea that micro-organisms could cause disease was proposed.

Prior to that you a bunch of churchie morons insisting that disease was caused by "sin" and their fucking god was sending divine punishments.

Oddly, M. Terentius Varro had proposed the possibility of unseen organisms could cause disease in the first century.... but then the jesus freaks stepped in to cold cock science for 1500 years.
Interesting. It sounds like it takes a chemist to take the penicillium mold and make it useful, so Penicillin couldn't have likely been made beyond the 1800s. (The 1800s are just a random guesstimate.) Thanks- I was just curious.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD