Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DAOISM/TAOISM
DAOISM/TAOISM
I've always wanted to know the take atheists have on Daoism/Taoism. I'm taking a religions of asia class at the moment and it obviously doesn't seem to be a religion based on strict principles like Christianity, Islam, or even Buddhism. I am really intrigued by the concept of wu-wei & the naturalness of all things. Things are what they are.

So what do you guys think of it?
RE: DAOISM/TAOISM
I don't understand it.

Same can be said for most, if not, all religions, as they all became nonsense to me once I deconverted.
Philosobabble. Big Grin
Quote:I've always wanted to know the take atheists have on Daoism/Taoism

There isn't one. Atheism is a lack of belief in god(s)period. Nothing else is implied or may be inferred.

"As an atheist" I have no opinion on the Tao. As a skeptic, I have no problem with some of philosophical concepts,such as pragmatism and the idea that (as an ideal) life should be peaceful and filled with joy. However,I do not believe that each person is a microcosm of the universe. Nor in the pre scientific concepts of yin/yang and the five elements. Taken as a whole;a mixture of tradition,myth and superstition,like religions everywhere.
I'm full of it. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taoism Daystar 0 1842 December 9, 2008 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Daystar