Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good old redneck Tennessee
Good old redneck Tennessee
Next thing you know, they'll bring back public hangings.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/stor...ht97gOgV7L
Trying to update my sig ...
RE: Good old redneck Tennessee
I still don't get it, how does creationism conflict with evolution again save the first two chapters of Genesis? How are God and evolution incompatible....

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT THE TWO ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE!!!!
Creationism has ZERO place in a classroom. It is like saying that Zeus should be discussed in a meteorology course: It simply has no bearing any longer.

Keep the relig-o-babble out of public schools!
Trying to update my sig ...
Quote:a symbolic move that signals his opposition but allows the measure to be added to the state code.

Translation: This sister-fucker of a governor does not mind BEING an asshole he just doesn't want to sign his name to the evidence!
Quote:How are God and evolution incompatible...

They are not*,but God-of-the-gaps creationism is antithetical to science.

*The mainstream Christian churches have no problem with evolution. The only people who have a problem are willfully pig ignorant adherents to the lunar religious right.
Quote:This sister-fucker of a governor does not mind BEING an asshole he just doesn't want to sign his name to the evidence!

He fucks his SISTER? What's wrong with the guy,doesn't he have any hogs?

Tiger
As someone now living in TN, I am much more annoyed than any of you. On the governor's behalf though, the laws here are so stupid in that it only requires a simple majority to override the governor's veto.

He still should've vetoed the thing.

Also, the law allows any teacher to allow discussion of the weaknesses of any scientific theory and the strengths of any. In other words, if I want to get a job as a science teacher here, my students are learning about non-Newtonian gravity (non-constant G), ether theory, planar planet Earth (some people still argue that), alchemy, the biological theory of "God is a jack-off"™, and anything else I want to teach to make them fail their tests. Then when they fail their standardized tests, I can explain why to my colleagues as we re-write their answers (another thing teachers statewide have been caught doing). Since they can't fire me for it, I can just keep on doing it...

Yay Tennessee...
I saw a good video on Youtube where Richard Dawkins debated a creationist twit. This woman kept repeating that schools should be allowed to "teach the controversy". Of course, Dawkins tried impressing on her that THERE IS NO CONTROVERSY! Evolution is an established scientific fact! Should we teach "the controversy" that 2+2=5? How can we be a nation of gigantic scientific achievements and still have such STUPIDOS among us?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
I was born and raised in this state. I'm living proof that there is no excuse for this kind of bullshit, and of course, that not all Tennesseans are rednecks. In fact, I can't be counted on to do physical labor in the sun... I'd rather just drink tea and watch someone else redden their neck.

I am moving out of here, but I am committed to my school, so it won't be soon. In the meantime, I am looking for private, academically focused schools for my children to attend next year.

[Image: 803205-holy_facepalm_super.jpg?w=450&h=537]
nuff sayed
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living in Tennessee as an atheist? Voltair 8 3667 December 13, 2011 at 12:55 am
Last Post: Voltair
  'Not labeling ourselves' Vs 'Bright' Vs just plain good old 'Atheist', etc. Edwardo Piet 21 9796 May 14, 2009 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki