Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member from England.
New member from England.
hello guys Big Grin How are you all?

Anyways i'm from England, i'm 27 and it wasn't really that long since i was converted to an Atheist, well even before being an atheist i was agnostic although i still called myself a christian.
But my story here is, i was raised as a christian, although still not that religious, i still went to sunday school and church a few times and some christenings too, but it's only been those few times when i have been.
If i'm honest though, i hadn't really taken any notice of all this religious stuff until my later years when i started to really notice what was happening around the world, like how you get the 9/11 attacks, the 7/7 attacks, how there are wars started and how all the hatred in the world started to take shape into my mind. Of course, as a Christian, you are to believe how only muslims are the bad people while christians are the good people, i think that's just a natural biased point of view when you are involved with something, especially if it's religion.
Anyways, i had always believed in a god and how the god made the world in 6 days and had a rest on the 7th day, you know that kinda shit? lol although i still wasn't a religious person who read the bible and went to church, i was kinda oblivious to it all throughout my life really, like you know when you go to something and you don't know why you're going? well that was me lol like the christenings for example, i didn't even think about why we went to church before the party, all i was looking forward to was the achual party itself with the party food and meeting up with friends and cousins etc.

I didn't even know what atheism was until a couple of years back, when i was around 24 or 25, and that's when i thought i needed to think what all this religious stuff was, so then after a while i became agnostic, then after doing a bit of researching and alot more thinking about stuff, around 4 months ago, i decided that atheism was for me.
Of course though, researching and more thinking doesn't stop when you become an atheist, you just carry on and become more knowledgeable Smile

so that's the end of my introduction and my story, hope i didn't bore anyone?
Oh i'll tell you one last thing, i had a dream last night that i was getting tortured by religious people because i kept saying i was an atheist to them, what does this mean? Confused Fall
RE: New member from England.
Welcome.
Cunt
Nice intro. Welcome Tongue
Welcome, just one thing. You cannot convert to atheism as it is not a religion. It's simply the lack of a belief in a higher power.
(April 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm)Mosrhun Wrote: Welcome, just one thing. You cannot convert to atheism as it is not a religion. It's simply the lack of a belief in a higher power.

lol. I knew somebody would say that. To be fair its mostly just a phrase that has unfortunate extra baggage.
(April 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm)Insanity x Wrote:
(April 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm)Mosrhun Wrote: Welcome, just one thing. You cannot convert to atheism as it is not a religion. It's simply the lack of a belief in a higher power.

lol. I knew somebody would say that. To be fair its mostly just a phrase that has unfortunate extra baggage.

Lol, I'm not trying to be "that guy" but he said he was rather new to the idea of atheism so I just wanted to make sure he knew the difference. Big Grin
Thanks for the welcomes guys Smile
Yeah i did know that but it was a mistake by me lol
(April 12, 2012 at 2:10 pm)Freethinker~ Wrote: Oh i'll tell you one last thing, i had a dream last night that i was getting tortured by religious people because i kept saying i was an atheist to them, what does this mean? Confused Fall

It was a message from god that if you don't reconvert to christianity you will burn in hell for eternity!

Lol jk, it's just useless information being chucked about in your brain. Big Grin

Welcome btw!

The word I've often heard used is "deconverted to atheism".

Welcome, and you're not alone. 9/11 and 7/7 have done much to alert people to the dangers of at least some religions.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Hello fellow Brit, get yourself an avatar Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new member asswriter 8 229 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Member Photos Tiberius 20280 4446967 April 11, 2024 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New member MistMuse 7 273 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 581 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 871 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 656 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1367 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1195 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2068 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2636 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one