Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish independance
Scottish independance
If all these Scots want to break away from 'Britain', I say let them do it. But they can stop using English taxpayers to fund their university fees, their pharmacies and their fucking car parks! Let them see the benefits of independence then!

That is all.
RE: Scottish independance
(April 12, 2012 at 5:56 pm)Napoleon Wrote: If all these Scots want to break away from 'Britain', I say let them do it. But they can stop using English taxpayers to fund their university fees, their pharmacies and their fucking car parks! Let them see the benefits of independence then!

That is all.

Well Nap, that pretty much takes the biscuit for the most petulant thing I've seen you post.

England would be a very different place (for the worse) without Scottish contributions in many fields. Scotland owes England exactly nothing.

The union of England and Scotland in 1707 was for England's benefit,not Scotland's, and was opposed by most Scots at the time.

Check out the Wiki article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1707

(April 12, 2012 at 7:54 pm)padraic Wrote: The union of England and Scotland in 1707 was for England's benefit,not Scotland's, and was opposed by most Scots at the time.

I don't see where the benefit is for England in this day and age do you? Maybe you can point it out.
Actually the union was mainly for Scotland's benefit.

http://blog.cgpgrey.com/how-scotland-bec...t-britain/

Did you even read the Wikipedia article? What about this bit:

Quote:In Scotland, it was claimed that union would enable Scotland to recover from the financial disaster wrought by the Darien scheme through English assistance and the lifting of measures put in place through the Alien Act to force the Scottish Parliament into compliance with the Act of Settlement.
(bolding mine)

Spending 1/5 of your country's wealth on an attempt at establishing a colony isn't the best of ideas. When it fails, the consequences are even worse. England essentially made sure that Scotland didn't go bankrupt.
Explain to me what the benefit is, FOR ME, to pay taxes for scottish students university fees, when I am left to my own devices, left to get in £20,000 worth of debt for my own university fees??
I find it interesting that Scotlands financial plans while independent is largely dependent on their oil reserves.

Wonder how that'll work out in 50-100 years time.........
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Also, I agree with Napo's post(s). If Scotland want to leave the Union, they should be allowed to.
(April 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Also, I agree with Napo's post(s). If Scotland want to leave the Union, they should be allowed to.

Might help with the debt crisis if we aren't wasting taxes on scottish people Big Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrrBs8JBQo
If scotland split how long till we're at war with them..........again.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 13, 2012 at 1:25 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: If scotland split how long till we're at war with them..........again.

You mean how long till they realise how expensive it is to run their own pharmacies, car parks and pay their own university fees? Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scottish independance? lifesagift 63 5275 September 15, 2014 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Minimalist