Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
carbon 12, carbon 14
carbon 12, carbon 14
Hey guys

So I come across a lot of theists who debate the earth being 2 billion years old by claiming that carbon 12 and 14's half life is only 5730 years old, thus making it an ineffective way to date the globe. I always tell them that we use potassium argon to date ancient dig sites and archaeological finds.

Here's a link:

http://geology.about.com/od/geotime_dati...dating.htm

Potassium Argon has a half-life of 1250 million years. Just wondering if any of you have come across similar encounters with creationists and if there have been other arguments that have frustrated you and stumped you, feel free to post them so we can seek a logical and scientific end to it.

RE: carbon 12, carbon 14
Never been stumped by an argument, except the frustrating infinite gaps argument in the fossil record. Find another link in the fossil record, and creationists claim you've got 2 more gaps.

Double facepalm time.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
I've come across this argument before, and it stems from a complete lack of understanding of nuclear physics.
(April 14, 2012 at 11:40 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Find another link in the fossil record, and creationists claim you've got 2 more gaps.

I come across that argument daily it seems. I've seen it on Fox News before and my mother always comments on it. I find it frustrating that theists are so desperately clinging on to the hope that, despite the hard evidence and links we've found in the fossil record, the "gaps" will disprove the theory of evolution. Despite the fact over the last few hundred years we've seen the evolution of canines. Claiming the missing, "gaps" is very hypocritical. Considering the fact there are an uncountable number of gaps and evidence to overturn religion.

(April 14, 2012 at 11:36 am)darkment0r Wrote: Hey guys

So I come across a lot of theists who debate the earth being 2 billion years old by claiming that carbon 12 and 14's half life is only 5730 years old, thus making it an ineffective way to date the globe. I always tell them that we use potassium argon to date ancient dig sites and archaeological finds.

Here's a link:

http://geology.about.com/od/geotime_dati...dating.htm

Potassium Argon has a half-life of 1250 million years. Just wondering if any of you have come across similar encounters with creationists and if there have been other arguments that have frustrated you and stumped you, feel free to post them so we can seek a logical and scientific end to it.

There is one creotard argument that had me stumped for all of 30 seconds and that is only because I was blindsided by it. That is the argument that Polonium halos prove a young Earth. To a layman, the argument is devastating. To anyone trained in Geology, Chemistry or Physics, the argument is laughable in it's stupidity. I guess nobody told those cretinous morons that Polonium is a daughter of Radon which is a gas and Radon is well known for it's ability to diffuse through granite.

Other than that one argument, they are a laughable bunch of generally inbred lunatics.
Arguments are largely pointless anyway, and give them more credibility than they deserve.

If the natural evidence in the world, contradicts your beliefs, your should reconsider your beliefs, because the natural world is not for changing.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm

[/quote]Other than that one argument, they are a laughable bunch of generally inbred lunatics.
[/quote]

I really don't understand why some people think in such a biased and narrow minded way. Complexities of other peoples minds escape me. My therapist tells me I should stop trying to figure out why people think stupidly. But somehow I really can't stop. Because it really escapes me...

There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

~Richard Dawkins~

Listen to Greydon Square. He will blow your mind.
(April 14, 2012 at 11:55 am)darkment0r Wrote: I really don't understand why some people think in such a biased and narrow minded way.

Are you seriously saying that dismissing their bullshit as bullshit is narrow minded???????
We're all stupid about something. The difference is having a sound "bullshit filter".

Once you've accepted without evidence, one piece of garbage, you leave a big hole in the filter for more to be poured in because to do so, would be to contradict the original shit you let in and accepted without question.

Evicting bad ideas, is much harder than accepting them, especially when you've poured a ton of additional garbage on top.

― Tim Minchin, Storm
(April 14, 2012 at 11:58 am)Phil Wrote:
(April 14, 2012 at 11:55 am)darkment0r Wrote: I really don't understand why some people think in such a biased and narrow minded way.

Are you seriously saying that dismissing their bullshit as bullshit is narrow minded???????

Wait, what? No I said that the way they think is very narrow minded. At least I thought I did. Did I not? *confused*

There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

~Richard Dawkins~

Listen to Greydon Square. He will blow your mind.