Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is absolute 'nothing' really possible and/or coherent?
Question 
Is absolute 'nothing' really possible and/or coherent?
I was thinking about ex nihilo... Theist of course use this in cosmological arguments, and the more sophisticated arguments define "nothing" as having no mass, energy, or temporal qualities. They define it this way to get around the quantum mechanics examples where something comes from nothing. So "nothing" isn't just empty space. Space itself is something to theists. But is "nothing" when defined this way really possible and/or coherent? My impression of this sort of "nothing" seems impossible to imagine sort of like trying to imagine a square circle.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Is absolute 'nothing' really possible and/or coherent?
As soon as you start defining nothing as...(whatever) then it ceases to be nothing and become something that possesses qualities or the absence of qualities.

You can't imagine something which isn't because you will always be imagining the wrong thing.

'Nothing' in physics however is a very different beast.

[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Big Grin
Excellent reference, Insanity.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 18, 2012 at 8:30 am)Faith No More Wrote: Excellent reference, Insanity.

Tongue

* Nine rides off into the distance on Falcor

(April 18, 2012 at 4:31 am)Darwinian Wrote: 'Nothing' in physics however is a very different beast.

If we define nothing as external to spatio-temporal properties as well, it doesn't exist physically by any coherent theory and it has no effect on anything.

There are vacuum states, but those are measures of the energy of the background fields (of which space time is one).

If we define "nothing" as a space time field with no matter fields within it, nothing is just a simple Minkowski metric. There we have it: God is a linear matrix. Not really something to be devoting babies to and having prayer rallies for in my opinion... Smile
"Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate by the masses, not some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
- Dennis the peasant.
conceptually, if "nothing" can be imagined or thought of, then it is something. not to be confused with emptiness, "absolute nothing" is a concept that requires something observable, measurable, inferable, etc...
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
It runs into problems as soon as you try to say 'if nothing existed'. Does nothing have no properties? Isn't 'having no properties' a property?

I suspect the idea of 'true nothingness' of the sort things need to be created 'ex nihilo' from is indeed incoherent. And God makes it worse: how can you have 'true nothingess' if God is around? Especially if it is omnipresent and eternal. If God is everywhere and eternal, 'true nothingness' is completely precluded.
(April 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: It runs into problems as soon as you try to say 'if nothing existed'. Does nothing have no properties? Isn't 'having no properties' a property?

I suspect the idea of 'true nothingness' of the sort things need to be created 'ex nihilo' from is indeed incoherent. And God makes it worse: how can you have 'true nothingess' if God is around? Especially if it is omnipresent and eternal. If God is everywhere and eternal, 'true nothingness' is completely precluded.

Theists think creation out of nothing is only a problem for naturalistic explanations of the universe. They think that if God doesn't exist then either the reality is eternal, or it came from "nothing" (as they define "nothing"). They think reality can't be eternal for reasons I can't remember at the moment, and they think something coming out of "nothing" on its own is impossible, so they think God is the only thing that could create something from nothing, or at least create something from himself. To me, this all assumes that such a "nothing" is something that is possible which hasn't been shown as far as I know. In the Kalam cosmological argument, it is said that an actual infinite number of things is an absurdity. Have they also determined whether or not true nothingness is an absurdity too?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Not all theism claims that the world was created out of nothing. Both Pantheism and Panentheism take existence as a given, i.e. "out of nothing, nothing comes."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5389 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 950 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Something from Nothing Banned 66 11333 March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2033 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is it true that there is no absolute morality? WisdomOfTheTrees 259 25254 March 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 8647 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  Is the idea of self a coherent concept? bennyboy 5 1210 January 1, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it? Kernel Sohcahtoa 64 8316 November 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 8070 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing? GrandizerII 70 11940 February 24, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: IATIA