Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting argument for the non-existence of God
Lightbulb 
Interesting argument for the non-existence of God
Some of you may have read this before, but it's new to me. Dean Stretton wrote this argument that attempts to prove the non-existence of God by using problems that middle knowledge creates that theists probably never foresaw. It's a very lengthy argument, and you have to read it slowly. Basically, if God has middle knowledge, then there's no reason for a free person to not stop another person's suffering because it ultimately all works out for good in the end. Said person is morally justified in allowing the evil then. He argues that even the most rational theist would not allow all suffering even if they knew all suffering would be worked out for good, so they are not morally justified in allowing any evil to occur, and from that he says that no theists knows God exists. After this, he argues that basically that God does not exist because no theists really knows God exist (it's more sophisticated than that in the article). My summary is very simplistic so don't critique my summary and expect to be critiquing the argument itself.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/d...n/mae.html

What do you think of it?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Interesting argument for the non-existence of God
Does evil exist and if so how can it be defined?
(April 21, 2012 at 2:21 pm)WallaceT Wrote: Does evil exist and if so how can it be defined?

I'm not sure if the argument assumes evil actually exists.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(April 21, 2012 at 2:25 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote:
(April 21, 2012 at 2:21 pm)WallaceT Wrote: Does evil exist and if so how can it be defined?

I'm not sure if the argument assumes evil actually exists.

Why did you abandon your nothing thread?
"Almost everyone will admit that there are some evils - the horrendous evils of the Holocaust, for example - that are totally inscrutable."

That is a quote from the opening of the text. Clearly the author acknowledges the existence of the concept.
(April 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm)WallaceT Wrote: "Almost everyone will admit that there are some evils - the horrendous evils of the Holocaust, for example - that are totally inscrutable."

That is a quote from the opening of the text. Clearly the author acknowledges the existence of the concept.

My mistake then. I forgot about that. I read this article two weeks ago and haven't looked at it again until this morning when I decided to share it.

I'm still not sure why the question of the definition evil is relevant to the argument.
My ignore list

Hi there Phil! Do I detect a tone of hostility and bitterness in your post?
That's just how he rolls.

Idiots seem to bring out the worst in him Wink
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Angel

I'm going to try to get the conversation back on course.

I could be wrong, but I don't see how defining evil is needed for this argument. It's not your standard existence of evil means there's no God argument. I think it's showing how theists acting inconsistently towards what they (the theists) see as evil, shows God doesn't exist. Here's an outline of the argument taken from the Iron Chariots wiki:

Quote:A1. The most rational theists know (i.e., have a justified, true belief) that God exists.
A2a. For any possible world W, if God exists in W, then every instance of evil in W is objectively justified.
A2b. If God exists, then there is objective justification for any actual instance of evil, including those evils for which there is a human onlooker
A2. If God exists, then there is objective justification for every actual instance of evil, justification that will occur even if no onlooker intervenes to stop or prevent that evil.
A3. Some members of the class of most rational theists (as I have defined that class) are theists who know A2.
A4. Some of the most rational theists (namely, those who know A2) know that there is objective justification for any actual instance of evil, justification that will occur even if no onlooker intervenes to stop or prevent that evil.
A5. If human person P knows that there is objective justification for evil E, and that this justification will occur even if P does not intervene to stop or prevent E, then P is morally justified in allowing E to occur.
A6. Some of the most rational theists (namely, those who know A2) are morally justified in allowing any actual evil to occur.
A7. If the most rational theists know that God exists, then some of those theists (namely, those who know A2) are morally justified in allowing any evil to occur.
A8. Even the most rational theists (including those who know A2) are not morally justified in allowing just any evil to occur.
A9. Even the most rational theists do not know that God exists.
A10. If the most rational theists do not know that God exists, then no theist knows that God exists.
A11. No theist knows that God exists.
A12. For any given theist, that theist’s belief that God exists is either false or unjustified.
A13. If God exists, then some theists are justified in believing that God exists.
A14. If God exists, then no theist has a false belief that God exists.
A15. If God exists, then some theists know (i.e., have a justified, true belief) that God exists.
A16. It is not the case that some theists know (i.e., have a justified and true belief) that God exists.
A17. God does not exist.

This argument can be summarized as follows:
A1 to A2 – If God exists, then all instances of evil are morally justifiable by definition.
A3 to A7 – If all events are morally justifiable, then some believers know that they should not try to stop any instance of presumed evil.
A8 – Yet they do intervene.
A9 to A17 – Therefore their own behaviour proves that God does not exist.
My ignore list

(April 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm)WallaceT Wrote: Hi there Phil! Do I detect a tone of hostility and bitterness in your post?

No, you detect me asking the OP why he abandoned a thread. Now you swill detect hatred and derision because you think your fucking able to be a psychic online. I have never seen a Christotard online that doesn't act like they can "read minds" due to a post. Whats there fucking problem?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3084 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1841 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8047 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 9938 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6175 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 12700 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 48359 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15600 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2853 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  How to easily defeat any argument for God Tom Fearnley 629 33422 November 22, 2019 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley