Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pathetic pleas to god from friends and family.
Pathetic pleas to god from friends and family.
I have a lot of fundamentalist Christians on my Facebook page -mostly friends and family. When they go through a rough time some of them cry out to god via Facebook. Be it through graphics with sappy sweet sayings on it, rally calls for prayer, or through personal statements of how they're feeling at the moment. When I was a Christian I would answer them in the standard way. Something like "Just hang on. God will.....(blah blah blah). God still loves you." etc. Now I look at the situation and I want to make some sort of statement about wasting time and effort but I know it would only serve to upset them more. It's like hearing cries in the darkness for me now.

Here's the progression of posts from a friend of mine. It's fairly standard of what I read:

It started with a copy and paste of Psalm 55:17. It's a verse about crying day and night to god, and god hearing the cry. This was backed up by another quote about how people are stressed out because they don't take their problem to god in prayer.

A few days later she posts this statement: "Sometimes I think God hears everyone but me."

Today she posts: "Ok....I've come to the conclusion that maybe I am
not really listening.....I want to, but maybe I am not truly hearing."

I.e. the reason why god hasn't responded is not because god hasn't responded. It's because she is having trouble listening.

It's like a slow train wreck. I hate to see people go through a hard time and I'd like to say some sort of encouraging words (and often I can find something kind to say) but what can you do when the problem they have is with a god that doesn't exist who isn't answering them?
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Pathetic pleas to god from friends and family.
Offer a practical solution to her problem. See what can actually be done in the meantime i.e. let her keep praying and what not but help her find a solution where she has to get up and do something about it.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Remove the head or destroy the brain.
Cunt
(April 23, 2012 at 11:07 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Offer a practical solution to her problem. See what can actually be done in the meantime i.e. let her keep praying and what not but help her find a solution where she has to get up and do something about it.

Yeah, let her know god helps those who help themselves then tell her that the saying is from Hercules and the Waggoner which is one of Aesop's Fables. Then watch her head asplode.
(April 23, 2012 at 11:33 am)Phil Wrote: Yeah, let her know god helps those who help themselves then tell her that the saying is from Hercules and the Waggoner which is one of Aesop's Fables. Then watch her head asplode.

I'm going to store that one in the memory banks and use it in the future. Thanks.

By the way, Hawkings said there is as much negative energy as there is energy in the universe, therefore the universe = 0 *not anti matter and matter as I claimed* But you probably knew that anyway.

You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(April 23, 2012 at 11:39 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote:
(April 23, 2012 at 11:33 am)Phil Wrote: Yeah, let her know god helps those who help themselves then tell her that the saying is from Hercules and the Waggoner which is one of Aesop's Fables. Then watch her head asplode.

I'm going to store that one in the memory banks and use it in the future. Thanks.

By the way, Hawkings said there is as much negative energy as there is energy in the universe, therefore the universe = 0 *not anti matter and matter as I claimed* But you probably knew that anyway.
Saw your post. I actually told that to a fundie friend when she said "My god said he helps those who help themselves." I asked her why her god quoted from Aesop's Fables. She swore it was in the bible then told me I taught her something. I said "me, a godless heathen destined for hell taught you something?" She said I must have some Christian in me. I asked her if she wanted some atheist in her Smile
God answers all prayers. Sometimes the answer is no.
Just as any other jar of milk...
(April 23, 2012 at 2:15 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: God answers all prayers. Sometimes the answer is no.

And sometimes things get better before they get even worse. I which case, the answer is "I'm just screwing with ya."
ChadWooters Wrote:God answers all prayers. Sometimes the answer is no.

Or, and stick with me here, the answer is always no(read: no one is listening), but every once in a while a random circumstance makes it seem as if your prayer was answered.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Natural family planning LinuxGal 75 7413 January 1, 2023 at 10:30 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2106 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2780 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Disappointing my family Der/die AtheistIn 9 1764 December 23, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Mother Marches Through Target With Her Family To Protest Transgender Bathroom Policy" TubbyTubby 6 1679 May 17, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: abaris
  How would you suggest going about dealing with an ignorant extended family member GoHalos1993 21 3737 January 1, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Doesn't this seem pathetic to you? dyresand 11 3213 August 25, 2015 at 7:52 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Whoopi speaks out against the duggar family dyresand 49 11787 June 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  New result on Jesus family ossuaries watchamadoodle 20 4805 April 16, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Dealing with Religious Family wolfclan96 22 4796 January 16, 2015 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: wolfclan96