Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever experienced bigotry from the religious for being atheist?
Ever experienced bigotry from the religious for being atheist?
How did you deal with the ignorant & self-righteous fundie types?

& what ingenious comebacks have you ever given them in return when they began shoving their beliefs down your throats? Big Grin
RE: Ever experienced bigotry from the religious for being atheist?
Shove their believes up their asses?
The only real fundie I've ever had to deal with in real life was a co-worker. For the sake of tranquility, I didn't engage him except for when he showed his bigotry, i.e. whenever he bashed homosexuals or Jews.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Luckily, pretty much all the christians I know aren't fundies. They all seem to espouse the "it's your choice" philosophy. My family are like that, my grandparents say they can only endure an hour of religion at a time Tongue
(April 23, 2012 at 3:25 pm)icantstandfundies Wrote: How did you deal with the ignorant & self-righteous fundie types?

I make an effort to try and stay on point and not allow them to pull me into a personal shouting match. That means I tend to stay on topic and not stray too far from the path, and I have to pick my battles carefully.

Quote:& what ingenious comebacks have you ever given them in return when they began shoving their beliefs down your throats? Big Grin
None, for as most of you know I try not and get into a wit measuring contest with any of you. (truthfully what is the prize do you offer when I win? You put me on ignore?)
I found if I just stay the course and just straighten out your understandings about religion or the bible, the belligerent ones eventually wind up with their own foot in their mouths, and the one seeking direction find it. Win/win.

At least that is the plan.
Ah, a plan; a list of things that will go wrong. Would you say that this is an accurate assessment of the time you have spent "straightening us out"?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yes, I was about 10 minutes into my lunch break reading a book on evolution (in the employee break room) when my supervisor came in, looked at the book and said "so your a man of little faith". I corrected him and said "no faith." He said some shit about creationism and I went back to reading my book without saying a word. About 30 minutes later the supervisor and the owner fired me claiming they eliminated my job. Strangest part is that this was a laboratory where people should have an education.
Where do you live, Phil? That same thing happened to a friend of mine and there is nothing you can do. Shame on us for oppressing them.
(April 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Where do you live, Phil? That same thing happened to a friend of mine and there is nothing you can do. Shame on us for oppressing them.

PA where there are really shitty labor laws. Then again, all at will states suck for the worker.
Can't say I've ever actually encountered full-fledged bigotry, but there are a couple of things that spring to mind. In my teen years at school, early eighties for the record, I had one or two born-agains sniffing round me, trying to steal my soul or whatever it is they do. You know, giving me the usual platitudes: "You will find God one day!" and "The Fool hath said..." etc etc ad nauseum. Even at that age I managed to stand my ground, I'm proud to say. Though there was one occasion when the rain was really tipping it down (we used to have more rain back in the old days, I blame all them Sputniks...) Anyway, I mentioned to my friend who was then a nascent fundy that it was a good job someone had invented sewers or we'd all drown. It was a remark about the amount of rain more than anything else. Big mistake. I found myself on the receiving end of a fire 'n' brimstone lecture about Yahweh's promise never to flood the world again, the rainbow is the sign of that promise, and feck knows what else as my brain went into standby mode at that point.

The only other time I can really think of was just a few years ago, when two of my hobby-xtian friends got married. Though they are among my best friends who were the ones that got me and Sam together in the first place, they wouldn't allow us to go to the wedding, for reasons they still haven't revealed but which I suspect had to do with me and my atheism. I still haven't forgiven them either.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Christianity responsible for anti gay bigotry? 1994Californication 35 7315 March 12, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Panatheist
  10 best things about being an atheist on Christmas Minimalist 26 5818 December 23, 2014 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  You Can See The Crazyness and Bigotry In This freedomfromforum 54 10140 November 27, 2013 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Bad Wolf
  Has anyone ever found a way to reconsile being Gay/Bi/Lesbien and being a Christian? pop_punks_not_dead 102 43316 February 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Bigotry in the name of Jesus. Zen Badger 13 4167 September 10, 2012 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Ace Otana
  Bishop criticises the Scottish government's anti-bigotry law frankiej 0 974 October 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Evidence for God being "a superior being" ? Rwandrall 151 71667 June 12, 2011 at 6:00 am
Last Post: BethK